Draft from under the front door

Old 02-24-08, 06:57 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Draft from under the front door

Hey I have a draft coming in under the front door. We would like to figure out a way to stop this without using one of those things that look like a long hotdog pillow. I heard that we can buy some kind of a plate that will screw into the door and hang a little lower on the door, but I can't find them anywhere. Any ideas where to get one of these or if there are any better ideas for fixing this?

Thanks,
Jason

Old 02-25-08, 06:11 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
What you need is a door sweep which is a piece of aluminum with rubber or pile attached to seal the space under the door. Go to Home Depot, Lowes or your local hardware. You may also want to look at others that mount under the door and have rubber fins.

Old 02-25-08, 07:08 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the advice! that's what I think I need

Old 06-20-08, 07:00 AM
T
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I am having the same problem with a storm door, I took off the metal piece that holds the rubber and the rubber is still in it and I dont know how to
get it out or do I have to buy the metal part with the rubber flap already inside it? Please let me know as soon as you can, Thank You, Tom

Old 06-20-08, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Tom,
Depends on the door. The cheaper ones sometimes have a vinyl sweep adjuster that is molded all as one piece and then you have to replace the whole thing.

If its a rubber piece slid into a groove in the metal expander, the ends of the groove are normally crimped down a bit to keep it from sliding out. You should be able to open it up pretty easily with a thin screwdriver, then slide the old sweep out and the new one in. A light spray of silicone makes it easy to slide in, then re-crimp it. Leave the rubber just a bit long as it will probably shrink some.

You should be able to get a new sweep any place that does screen repairs, there's several standard types. If you got the door at a Big Box, they sometimes will have extra's around.

Old 06-20-08, 01:24 PM
T
Gunguy45. If its a rubber piece slid into a groove in the metal expander, the ends of the groove are normally crimped down a bit to keep it from sliding out. You should be able to open it up pretty easily with a thin screwdriver, then slide the old sweep out and the new one in. A light spray of silicone makes it easy to slide in, then re-crimp it. Leave the rubber just a bit long as it will probably shrink some.
Thats exactly the kind I have, Thanks, BTW, is that replacement rubber cut from a roll or is it standard size?

Old 06-20-08, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hmm really don't know, the manufacturers replacements are all about 38" or so, so they'll fit everything. May be diff at a shop. Take it with you, as like I said, there are diff shapes for the slot, tho most use the "T" type.

Old 06-20-08, 05:36 PM
T
Ok, Thank You Very Much, Tom

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: