Tyvek house wrap and window installation

Old 03-04-08, 08:19 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tyvek house wrap and window installation

Hello,

When installing new windows with nailing fins on a new construction where the house is wrapped with Tyvek over osb, what is your preferred method of weaving the Tyvek around the rough openings and/or over or under the window nailing fins?

Do you use flashing as well?

Wanting to get everyone's take on how they feel the best way to do this to prevent water leakage and damage.

Old 03-04-08, 08:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I don't like to wrap the tyvek clear into the rough opening. I worry that it has the potential to carry air currents (if air pressure [wind] is pushing air currents behind the Tyvek) past the window insulation. I like to wrap it about 1 1/2" into the rough opening, staple it, cut it, and tape it.

I make two 45º incisions from the upper right and left corners and fold the resulting flap of Tyvek up and out of the way, pinning it up temporarily with a nail.

Then the window is installed on a bed of sealant. The sides are sealed to the Tyvek with strips of butyl window flashing tape. The top piece of butyl window flashing tape is cut about 8 to 12" longer than the window and it seals the top flange to the sheathing. Then the flap of Tyvek is unpinned and hangs down over the flashing tape. The 45º cuts are taped solid, and the bottom portion of that flap is skip-taped.

That's how I usually do it.

Additional methods include putting a cedar siding clapboard down on the bottom of the rough opening to make a "sloped sill" then flexible flashing tape (like Tyvek Flexwrap) can be used to make a type of sill pan prior to the installation of the window. I kind of think this is a bit overboard, but if you want to really do a nice job and you're worried about leaks for some reason, that's a nice way to protect the interior should any water happen to get into the rough opening.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: