Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Door strikes jamb at bottom before top - how to adjust?

Old 03-23-08, 12:56 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

In rehanging my doors with new hinges I have another problem. Several doors are making contact with the jamb at the bottom before (if at all) making contact at the top. What type of adjustment might solve this issue? Thanks.

Old 03-23-08, 01:14 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There are various possibilities here as to why there are problems, and different doors might need different solutions.

First check to see whether a door is warped. If it is not perfectly flat, one corner can hit before another. More than likely, however, your jambs are twisted with the bottom of one side being ahead of the other. That can happen as a house settles even if a jamb had been installed perfectly.

Moving top or bottom hinge mounts slightly can help make a door appear flat in a jamb when either is not not perfect, and door stop can be installed at a slight angle or even trimmed to an acceptable taper. And when humidity is high, I have occasionally latched a door against a small spacer where it hits first in order to "rewarp" it a bit for a better fit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: