doors before floors?

Old 03-24-08, 09:37 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
doors before floors?

I am having hardwood installed in the livingroom and hallway. There are 4 prehung doors that also need installed. The hardwood is going to have transitions into carpet and into vinyl. Should i lay the hardwood then hang the doors or doors then hardwood? If I hang the doors first, do i have to cut the jambs? Woud they only need cut on the side where the hardwood is going in? The hardwood is 3/8 or 7/16 somehwere in there.

Old 03-24-08, 09:48 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Doors and Flooring

Install the flooring first. It is much easier to trim the pre-hung jambs before they are installed.

Old 03-24-08, 09:52 AM
D
would i only cut the jambs on the hardwood side? It seems if I trimmed them all the waya cross they would be sitting high on the vinyl/carpet sides?

Old 03-24-08, 10:01 AM
M
If you have not already done so, purchase your prehung doors without casing attached. It will be monumentally easier to "cut" the jamb with out it and provide a much neater job on both sides of your transition.

Old 03-24-08, 10:05 AM
D
the doors are already bought and taken off the jambs for painting. just need to know if I should cut the hardwood half of the jamb and leave the carpet or vinyl side original legnth. What would it hurt to install the doors and run the hardwood up to them?

Old 03-24-08, 10:08 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It's a matter of personal preference. I, for one, would do the floors first if that were an option (usually not an option for me).... then, carefully trim the door jambs to meet each different surface.

Old 03-24-08, 10:15 AM
D
I think what I will probably do is install the hardwood, trim the jambs to go ontop of hardwood on one side and all the way to subfloor on other and hang the doors. Then install the carpet. If this isnt right or if anyone knows a better/correct way please let me know!!

Old 04-06-08, 05:38 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That should be fine.

That would look good for the finished portion. Undercutting the doors shouldn't be a problem. If the door is hollow, consider the depth of the bottom channel, and make sure the skin is still attached after you undercut. Make sure everything is otherwise aligned, before determining your cut. If the doors are to tall to swing from the beginning, you might need to get them in the range before final cut. Watch for chipping on laminate doors, low tack masking tape helps, and the right blade. You can also hand saw, with the doors hung in position. Use a spare hardwood plank (I'm assuming it's a 1/4" laminate board), to make an agreeably spaced cut, that will suit any unevenness at the finished floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: