Sagging Storm Door

Old 04-18-08, 05:02 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sagging Storm Door

I have double entry doors on the front of my house. Installed over the double doors are double storm doors that have aluminum frames screwed to brick mould. The hinge side consist of steel shafts that run though nylon bushing - a common "hinge" used in most storm doors.

The one storm door that is normally used for entry is sagging on the side opposite the hinges, causing the storm door not to close properly - sag is approx 1/4 inch. The storm doors have been in place for about 25 years and other than this problem the storm doors are fine. Any suggestions on how I could repair the sagging storm door?

Old 04-18-08, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,002 Votes on 911 Posts
The only know one trick. Remove the sagging storm door by removing all the screws that attach the door to the z-bar. Then take a piece of wood (like a short piece of 1x4) and beat the hinge locations back.

What has likely happened is that 25 years of wear and tear has caused the hinges to bend slightly toward the latch side of the door. Beating them back may just straighten the door enough so that it will close normally again.

My explanation above may be a little crude, and maybe you can find a more gentle way to accomplish the same thing, but you get the general idea of what you need to do.

Old 04-19-08, 04:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the hinges are worn out the you can buy a new Zbar(the side rail containing the hinges.If there is play in the hinges it means the hinges are worn.If the hinges are still good then undo all screws except the ones in the four corners.Then undo the remaining screws at the top to move the door slab over. If no room then leave screws in top and move bottom over untill 1/4" space is the same along the top and latch side . Hope tyhis is not to confusing.Good luck!

Old 04-20-08, 03:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
In addition, the most important screws are sometimes left out when an install is made. The 3 or 4 screws that screw directly into the jamb on the hinge side help to keep the vertical attitude correct. Make sure they are long enough to penetrate to framing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: