Wood barn sash windows, how to rough

Old 06-19-08, 03:57 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wood barn sash windows, how to rough

Hello all. I am building a shed and have 4 22"Wx29"H cheap wooden barn sash windows. They are trimmable to a 1/2 inch from each side. I have never made a rough opening for these, and am not sure how to go about it. I've seen some barn sash windows that come out completely when you want some air, some that swing in and up to an eye-bolt, and some that open out like casements. I would prefer to make these windows open out with hinges, but I may be out of luck, not sure. I am concerned about the 4 seasons I live in, so a good water-tight fit is important, as I will have many tools in this shed. I am in an extremely flexible stage right now, so any suggestions are good ones.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-08, 07:24 PM
can you explain with more detail what kind of windows you're talking about?

Old 06-20-08, 07:26 PM
Below is a link to a picture of a barn sash window being inserted. The technique used in this installation only allows the window to be tilted inward a little bit, or removed entirely. I am trying to figure out how to frame and trim the same window, only half the size, so it will swing outward, either on two upper hinges or on two side hinges. The window is 1 inch thick, white pine.
Thanks for the response.

http://www.barnsbuilt.com/images/sash-window-200.jpg

Old 12-02-08, 07:54 AM
here is a link that should explain it if you are still hunting... i had the same question
Building a Shed: Expert Advice from ... - Google Book Search