Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Kolbe windows to be replaced - cut interior stops?

Old 06-26-08, 07:43 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

My house is 23 years old, and has the original Kolbe & Kolbe double hung wood windows. They all need to be replaced. So I'm taking measurements to have Marvin replacement casements put in (will do it myself).

I took both sashes out (they are the tilt-in type with the vinyl side jambs), and removed the left side vinyl jamb to see what was underneath. No big surprises, except that the inside stops appeared to be "integrated" into the frame somehow. Not milled into the jamb, but maybe glued into a groove in the jamb? It's weird, I just expected them to be pried out with a wonder bar...but they are inset into the frame.

So, do I just cut these out with a sawzall and try not to damage the adjacent jamb? Seems tricky.

I'm going to leave the aluminum-clad blind stops, and use those to butt the replacement window against when installing. I just need to know how to get the interior stops out.

Any ideas? I can take a photo tonight, if that would be helpful.

Thank you!

Old 06-26-08, 07:56 AM
I should probably check my terms. I guess it isn't a stop so much as it is a system to hold the jambliners into the frame. The jambliners act as the stops, in this window. The part I'm trying to figure out how to remove is the wood strips that hold the jambliner in place!

Old 06-26-08, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I'm not familiar with that brand, but I have seen others where the interior trim needs to be taken off to access the stop, as it is wider than normal and nailed straight into the frame as opposed to being tacked from the inside.

You may want to contact them, if you don't get an answer here.

http://www.kolbe-kolbe.com/ourCompany/index.cfm?

Old 06-27-08, 06:20 AM
Hmm, it looks as though it might just be glued or friction fit into a dado cut in the frame. I guess I'll just have to try to rip one out and see.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: