Sliding glass doors vs. french doors?

Old 08-08-08, 04:55 PM
Sliding glass doors vs. french doors?

Does anybody have an opinion about sliding glass doors versus the french patio doors? We are short a pane of glass on the non-sliding section of our current sliding doors (neighbors told us the old owner's were mowing and a rock shattered it), so it's time to replace the doors. We have decided we'll definitely be going with the kind that has the mini-blinds in between the glass, but what we don't know is should we go with the sliding glass again or french doors? (the single open, not double french) We will be purchasing them from Home Depot so if anyone has any horror stories about their brands of doors, please let me know. Also, if you think one is better than the other (security? durability?), I'd like to know that too.

PS - can french doors be easily installed in place of sliding glass? Do you think it could cost extra or is that something that is basically a one-size-fits-all type deal?

Thanks!

Last edited by squidbillyjilly; 08-08-08 at 04:59 PM. Reason: more questions
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-08, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
Yes they should be the same size...be warned though..some doors are odd sizes..measure carefully. The actual opening, not just the door frame.

Ok, as to the blinds in the glass. You will have a smaller overall area of exposed glass. (less light) Some have the track inside the glass, so it will be kinda strange looking (track on one side and the top). Personally, I think it looks like crapola.

Also, you cannot get the hi-efficiency glass, since the blinds would scratch it.

Btw...I don't think they make a slider with the blinds between the glass do they? Does your local store carry the type you are talking about? (single sided french door? for lack of a better term) If you have to order..plan on $300-400 more.

As you can tell, I think they are a bad idea.

Old 08-08-08, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Ok, as to the blinds in the glass. You will have a smaller overall area of exposed glass. (less light) Some have the track inside the glass, so it will be kinda strange looking (track on one side and the top). Personally, I think it looks like crapola.

Also, you cannot get the hi-efficiency glass, since the blinds would scratch it.

Btw...I don't think they make a slider with the blinds between the glass do they? Does your local store carry the type you are talking about? (single sided french door? for lack of a better term) If you have to order..plan on $300-400 more.

As you can tell, I think they are a bad idea.
What do you mean track on one side and the top?

Also, what is hi-efficiency glass? I feel dumb. lol

And yes, they have a slider with blinds at Lowes. It's either Andersen or Pella brand, I can't remember which, but those are the only two brands of windows I know and when I saw the brand I thought "hey, I know that company!"

So to clarify, you think they're a bad idea because they look crappy? Because I thougth the sliders I saw at Lowe's were beeeautiful, and I'm tired of the ugly horizontal blinds that we currently have.

Old 08-09-08, 05:04 AM
From a decorating viewpoint, sliders do not require changes to furniture to allow for the door opening. But French style hinged on both sides allow the complete opening to open, only obne side of a slider operates. French style can be hinged on the inside or outside. But you need to place furniture so that it does not interfere with the doors.

I am not a fan of Pella. I have had several customers that have had unhappy warranty issues with them. Andersen Frenchwood series is an excellent door, either in a glider or hinged styles. Hinged style have a multipoint locking system that is very secure. All doors come with hi-performance glass. Do not install a door that large without it, not with energy prices of today.

Old 08-09-08, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Ok, I know the brand, it was probably Pella if it was Lowes.

Sorry, I'm with Bill...I've heard more bad things about Pella (windows mostly) than I have about other major brands. No direct experience though, so, grain of salt there. I agree Andersen Frenchwood doors are some of the best doors available. Thats probably why I put them leading from the office to the back porch. That and the fact they were discounted 50% (always check the markdown rack..lol)

I thought you were talking about a brand like Masonite or Reliabilt doors. If you look at those you'll see what I mean about the track being visible. Not sure how Pella does theirs.

Take a close look at how the blinds are on the door. Are they really between the glass or are they covered by a 3rd piece of glass. If I remember correctly, they are a seperate piece attached to the door, which means a smaller spacing between the sealed panes.

Also, Pella sliding door screens are mounted inside the room. Some people think thats good, personally not to my taste.

As to the glass, most good brands now have it standard. Google "LoE glass". Diff names for it but they all do the same thing. Keep heat outside in the summer, inside in the winter

Old 08-11-08, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
I thought you were talking about a brand like Masonite or Reliabilt doors. If you look at those you'll see what I mean about the track being visible. Not sure how Pella does theirs.
Well, I went to Home Depot and theirs is Jeld-Wen brand. Any thoughts on that? I see what you mean about the cheesy track stuff...the track was pretty cheap looking on theirs, IMO. The Pella brand at lowe's looked much classier but again, after hearing what you guys said about Pella...no thanks.

We're having a guy from HD out to measure this week so we can start the process. After fees, installation is almost as much as the door.....boooo. Are they terribly hard to install?

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Old 10-13-08, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by squidbillyjilly View Post
Well, I went to Home Depot and theirs is Jeld-Wen brand. Any thoughts on that? I see what you mean about the cheesy track stuff...the track was pretty cheap looking on theirs, IMO. The Pella brand at lowe's looked much classier but again, after hearing what you guys said about Pella...no thanks.

We're having a guy from HD out to measure this week so we can start the process. After fees, installation is almost as much as the door.....boooo. Are they terribly hard to install?

Anyway, thanks for your help!
Looks like I'm a few months behind you in doing something similar-shopping/installing sliders w/blinds.

Can you tell me which one you settled on? So far, I've only looked at the Pella at Lowes. Salesman tells me you cannot upgrade the hardware (doorhandle) and have to settle for the white plastic handle. This is something I'm not too crazy about.

More important to me though is which one did you settle for?

Why?

How did the install go?

Are you satisfied?

Appreciate any insight you can give me.