Need to install a new exterior door :(

Old 08-21-08, 01:13 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need to install a new exterior door :(

Ok here is our situation...it appears that the previous owner of our house installed an inswinging door with frame (sorry if wrong term) to open out. It is also possible that the door/frame that he installed was larger than the previous one. After several years of use in a high wind area with children who like to slam the door-the hinges keep coming off and now we can't get them to hold at all on the existing frame. My hubby and I are trying to be do-it-yourselfers, but neither of us knows how to change a frame. There isn't any trim around the inside, so if I measure the frame will that be an accurate measurement for a new one? Also, would it be possible to switch it back to open inward? Finally, any suggestions on quick fixes until we can change it? Any help would be appreciated!

Old 08-21-08, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Inswing and outswing doors have very different thresholds (the metal piece at the bottom). Easy to ID with pictures (photobucket works well)

Try putting some longer screws (2 per hinge, in the holes closest to the framing in the wall) for now.

You could maybe take it out and re-install it, but it may look pretty bad by the time yer done. All depends on how it was installed.

And yes, the frame measurement is a very good way to get the same size (correct) door.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: