Removing steel casement windows?

Old 09-03-08, 02:08 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing steel casement windows?

Hello, glad to have found this forum!

So I'm getting ready to install vinyl replacement windows in my newly purchased home and am starting to wonder what's the best method to go about this.
My house has brick veneer exterior and old steel casement windows. This thread shows pictures of a house that has the exact same setup: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=357656

I think I've come to the conclusion that I should remove the entire frame and fit replacement windows?
If this conclusion is correct, what's the best way to remove these windows? I initially figured that I could yank the nails out of the frame and the whole thing would pop out, but upon closer inspection it seems the outside sill was concreted in a way that it butts up to the outside window frame. Do you guys think I can pull them out into the house and avoid having to mess with the concrete sill?

Thanks,
Tom

Old 09-03-08, 03:41 PM
J
How old is the house, is it a full thick brick/block wall, or as you say, a veneer wall?? The best way to remove steel casements is to cut them out with a sawzall a piece at a time. If actually a veneer brick, the windows will be nailed to the outside framing. Best to cut the nails then the window frame. But there is usually not enough room to fit in the new windows with nailing fins. I sometimes use the old steel frame as a window stop for the new window. This does not always work and adds a maintenance problem.

Old 09-03-08, 11:45 PM
L
The house was built in 1949 and has 2x6 framing with a layer of brick veneer.

I was hoping to fit replacement windows without the nailing flange. Do you think this would work if I just mount the replacement window into the 2x6 window frame and caulk/seal appropriately?

I guess I'll need to go get a better sawzall if I'll be ripping out 12 windows.....

Old 09-04-08, 04:11 AM
J
It is more difficult to flash windows without a nailing flange, but flashing them behind brick is even more difficult. There are self-adhesive flashings that can fit tightly to the side of a window frame.

Once the first leg of the frame is cut(after nails), it is usually like a house of cards and the rest comes out more easily.

Old 09-04-08, 07:46 AM
L
Once the first leg of the frame is cut(after nails), it is usually like a house of cards and the rest comes out more easily.
Good to know.

Thanks for the heads up on the self adhesive flashing
I should have my camera on hand so hopefully I'll be able to post some progress shots and you can critique my technique...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: