Screw holes in sheet metal storm door

Old 09-12-08, 02:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Screw holes in sheet metal storm door

I moved into a house with a nice Andersen storm door on the front. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it was not installed properly. Some of the sheet metal screws that attach the hinges to the door are not in the proper place. They are off by about 1/8th of an inch, so the door does not properly shut.

I want to remove the screws, plug the holes, and re-drill the holes in the right place so my door works correctly. Any ideas on how to plug the old screw holes in the sheet metal frame of the door? I need to use something that will support the new screw hole instead of just getting torn apart by the weight of the door, so just caulking won't work.

Thanks,
Justin

Old 09-12-08, 02:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Justin: you won't be able to cut a new hole so close to the old one without causing damage. Just filling the old hole (unless you are a whiz at aluminum welding) won't suffice. Is there any way you can lower the door side frames in the brick mold and caulk the corners where the gap will occur? I am assuming it is hitting on the top rail.

Old 09-12-08, 02:46 PM
To be more clear about what's going on...

Here is the installation manual for my door:
http://www.stormdoors.com/files/inst...view%20SS2.pdf

If you look to page 5, step 3 dictates how to attach the z-bar to the door. Notice how it talks about tucking the short leg of the hinge into the u-shaped track. This wasn't done right. One of the hinges isn't tucked in all the way, so during normal opening and closing of the door, the screws get ripped out because the u-shaped track isn't helping to support the hinge. Once the screws start ripping out, the whole door starts getting pulled off the hinges.

Regrettably, with this type of door, you can't move the hinges up or down. Otherwise I would do that and forget about the old holes. Any advice?

Old 09-12-08, 04:42 PM
W
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, A couple of ideas.
1 When bar is in place if the hinge is long enough do not use hinge holes but move screws away fron the hole and install screws through the hinge plate and into the door.
2 With the bar in place elongate the hole in the hinge to match the hole in the door. Install A third a screw in the center to prevent tne hinge from shifting.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 09-27-08, 10:07 AM
Solution!

A follow up:

I followed the advice and drilled new holes through the hinges and into the door for the screws instead of trying to use the pre-drilled holes in the hinges. I don't know why it did not occur to me to do that previously.

So I have 2 extra holes in the hinge, but it's now a few weeks later and everything is still working wonderfully...

Thanks for the help! I am so happy with my "new" door!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: