Window Replacement

Old 09-27-08, 07:32 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Window Replacement

I have a stationary window, which has been broken and I want to replace it. I am a single woman who really knows nothing about this type of task. I am thinking I would like to replace it with a updated, single pane slider? it is a porch/house window which is on an enclosed porch and is my foyer window... any suggestions? Is replacement an easy project or worth hiring a pro?

Old 09-27-08, 10:38 PM
Gender and martial status are immaterial. Assigning the task of changing an opening from a fixed to an operable window to a raw apprentice would not be done in the field. A journeyman would be assigned. The apprentice would either watch, or take the lead under the watchful eye of the journeyman.

If the window had been operable and you wanted to replace it with a replacement insert it would be a simpler task. Although I cannot be certain, I think the opening will need to be taken down to the rough frame. Successful completion requires recognition and understanding of the components involved, strength, stamina, dexterity, and moxie. Most are acquired over time. You can begin that process anytime, but presently this task is out of your league.

Old 09-28-08, 04:43 AM
J
The old window has some sort of frame, most likely. If that is the case. the glass(whats left) can be removed and a replacement window installed. Knowledge is the easy part, most manufaturers supply fairly good instructions. Ability is another issue, you either have it or you don't. If you are not all thumbs, you probably can do it. Big box and hardware stores have good libraries of DIY books, but I have never seen one for doing windows, it is not a casual DIY job. Can you post a pic, that would better help us guide you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: