replace window without moving siding

Old 09-30-08, 05:52 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replace window without moving siding

I've done several windows where I pull the exterior trim to expose the flange, remove old window, install new window with flange, square, secure, seal and re-install trim. Not too hard.

I have a friend that wants me to help replace a broken window (vinyl). Except his siding butts up directly against his window....i.e. no trim to remove to expose the old flange. My question is how can I remove the old window without taking off the siding.

I had windows done for me once professionally years ago and somehow they cut the old flange from the old window and were able to remove the window leaving the flange and without disturbing the siding. For the new windows, they cut off the flange from the new window. They put the new window (minus flange) into the opening and secured it to the house frame opening by running screws through the window vinyl frame from the inside into the house frame 2x4's). Seem to work OK.

Question: is that a doable option and if so, how do I cut the old flange from the old window?

Old 09-30-08, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 844 Votes on 774 Posts
It's imperative to use the flange if you don't want the window to leak.

If you're intent on disregarding standard installation procedures, then use a reciprocating saw to carefully cut around the edge of the window in order to get it out. Caulk the new one in using some good urethane sealant and hope that it never fails and that water never gets behind the siding at any point above the window.

The method your installers used might "seem" okay, but any installation that depends on caulk to prevent leaks from entering the rough opening is bound to fail. It just depends on whether you (or your installers) care or not.

If you'd like to expose the nailing flange to get the old window out and the new window in, cut 2 1/8" away from the window, leaving enough room for (#908) brickmould or a similar width trim once the new window has been installed.

Old 09-30-08, 07:18 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will pass this info on to my friend who actually owns the house.

Like I said, I've never done it but had seen it done that way by "professional" installers. I obvioulsy wasn't smart enough when I paid for it to know any better whether they were doing it right or not....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: