Closet Openings too small

Old 10-14-08, 04:01 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Closet Openings too small

Hi everyone,

In our home the previous owner changed the closet sizes and in doing so changed the opening sizes. They never added doors to the closets either. I have already installed new 6 panel pine doors throughout the house and was looking to add the same pine bi-fold doors to the closets. I was also hoping to install jambs first. I am concerned that I may not be able to based on the opening sizes that are currently there.

In bedroom 1 the closet opening is 72" on the nose. In bedroom 2 the opening is 71 1/4'. And in BR 3 the opening is exactly 48". I assume that because of that I can't install a jamb and in the case of BR2 I cant expect to fit the bi-fold doors at all.

Do I have no choice but to install sliding closet doors?

Thanks in advance,
Ken

Old 10-15-08, 05:14 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bypass(sliding) door openings are usually about an inch smaller the bifold door openings, to allow door overlap. Thus, it is usually harder to fit bifold doors into a bypass opening without major trimming on the doors. Byfolds should easily fit the 72" & 48" opening, but may need trimming for the 71" opening. You could also install the doors on hinges.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: