Exterior Threshold Replacement Question

Old 10-16-08, 08:35 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exterior Threshold Replacement Question

Hi,

I'm replacing the aluminum threshold on my back door and I'm wondering how much the door bottom should compress the vinyl seal on the top of the threshold. That information will help me pick out a properly sized threshold and/or determine whether I'll need to build up the sill.

There is no seal or gasket on the bottom of the door and the threshold is the type found here:

http://www.mdteam.com/products.php?category=1681

Thanks,

Dave

Old 10-16-08, 09:03 AM
S
It's pretty straightforward.The rubber should fill the gap between the threshold and the door,press against the bottom of the door but not effect closing the door.As long as you have filled the gap you have done what you need to do.

Macklenburg Duncan makes a wide variety of thresholds.Some have adjustability and you can also shim under thresholds if needed.

I'm not sure what big box stores stock but Ace stocks about a dozen versions in most stores.Some are MD and some are MD's under the Ace label.

Old 10-16-08, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Try the old dollar bill test. Close the door on a dollar bill, you should be able to remove it with a firm pull. Do this all the way across the sill. Might be a bit harder to adjust with that type.

If this door is exposed to rain, you might want to install an aluminum drip cap on the bottom. It helps prevent rain from being wicked in. I'll see if I can find an example.

Something like this...

http://www.mdteam.com/products.php?category=204

Old 10-16-08, 11:48 AM
N
Thanks for the replies. If I read them right, it seems that the top of the vinyl seal shouldn't stick up much beyond the bottom of the door, maybe 1/8 of an inch or so.

spdavid, thanks for the tip on MD thresholds at Ace Hardware. I'm not too thrilled with the Frost King thresholds at Home Depot.

Dave

Old 10-16-08, 11:59 AM
S
Two things:

Ace carries Frost King too and some Ace branded models are theirs some are MD.You can tell which is which by the quality.

Most Ace stores will not carry anywhere near all that's available but they can easily order what they don't stock.It can be done by computer in the store with your involvment.It is added to the next delivery to the store instantly and they get two deliveries a week unless it's a rural store or one far off the beaten track so to say.

If you find one online you like take the item number with you and any other info and chances are they can get it for you if it's not stocked.

Also at Acehardware.com,if it's listed there,you can order there and have it shipped to your nearest store for free with their next order.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: