Interior Door will not close

Old 10-30-08, 07:50 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Interior Door will not close

I have a 4.5 year old house. The secondary bathroom has a door that will not close, as the bolt will not go into the door frame metal piece to hold the door shut (and lock).

I removed the brass colored metal piece from the door frame and the swinging door bolt still does not fall into the hole it is supposed to be in to hold it shut.

I've had this problem since I had this house built, and I'm just getting around to trying to fix it. Since the door won't latch even with the brass plate removed, I'm assuming that I'll have to make the hole in the door frame larger toward the door side in order for the bolt to fit in there. I'm assuming I'll need to use a Dremel tool or even a Roto-Zip tool of some sort to make this hole in the wood bigger?

Am I on the right track? If so, any suggestions as to the bit or tip for these rotary tools would be helpful. I don't own these tools but I'm sure I could find some one who does.

Thanks in advance! Beer 4U2

Old 10-30-08, 10:16 PM
You're on the right track. A hammer & 3/4” wide chisel will serve you well for this project, and many years to come. A hammer & chisel are greener than power tools and they are environmentally friendly. (Try polluting the atmosphere with either. What goes up, must come down!). If you're in the movement, please, experiment away.

Quick checks (hinge; hinge style problems, or warped door). Open the door about one third of the way. Stand in front of the latch edge. Put one set of toes on the bottom edge of the door; put your hand on the upper portion of the latch style (narrow edge). Push & pull with your hand. If you hear a cur-chunking sound or have extra ordinary movement - you have a hinge problem, or a broken hinge style (the door would sag downward at the latch). Still at the doors edge, move your head in a single arch from the bottom to the top of the door. The door face is flat or it's bowed. If any apply “adjusting” the latch strike will be a temporary cure. Less frequent, curable problems: binding at the stop or the jamb face on the hinge side. Binding is due to improper clearance (translates to latching problems).

A sheet of paper taped to the strike jamb and some (paint, nail polish, marker, crayon) applied to the latch bolt face is a quick way of finding out what you need to do. Pros use a tri-square (door face to latch bolt face – transposed to the jamb [front of strike plate hole]). Tri-square blade extended; held against the door face; the blade placed under the latch bolt – transposed to jamb (close door) [bottom of hole - minimum] .

Old 10-31-08, 05:57 PM
R
Well, after closer inspection, I see that my door is too low and therefore the bolt stays on the strike plate along the bottom. One person told me to tighten up the hinge on the top to pull the top of the door up so that the bolt fits in there correctly. So I'll give it a try.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: