Need to modify my Door Insert Insect Screen

Old 11-01-08, 07:27 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago land
Posts: 670
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Need to modify my Door Insert Insect Screen


I purchased a Larson screen door for my screened-in patio. All is well with the exception of the screen insert that came with it. It appears not to be sturdy enough in strong winds and contracts somewhat:
\ /
| |

My idea is to modify the screen that is one rectangle to a rectangle with a divider:
| |
| |

My questions:
a.) are there T connectors for screen frames allowing me to do this?
b.) Will I be in lack finding the same frame as Larson is using somewhere?
c.) if I start from scratch can you recommend an on-line supplier of such material?

Old 11-01-08, 08:13 AM
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,823
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The materials for making your own screen frames are fairly common and most hardware stores carry some version of them.That said I have no idea how they would work with an existing door.I would reach out to Larson and see what you can find out.The Larson I'm familiar with is a lower end product line and I suspect much of the material is imported but only they can tell you for sure if any brand of screen making materials will work with their doors.

The "make your own" peices are generally designed for windows and there will be mounting parts available.You might explore modifying them to work with your door.

Also some lines include parts to act as cross peices or braces so maybe you could modify them to work with your frame.
Old 11-01-08, 08:34 AM
Gunguy45's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 19,281
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Any hardware store or glass shop that does re-screening could easily add a brace in the middle. Probably for less cost than you buying the materials (or pretty close). You may even have a company that specializes in screens.
Here in my small town we have 2 or 3 companies that do rescreening and building screens from scratch.

Thats the easy and simple way.

I've never seen any sort of a "T", just corners or "L's". Putting a brace in is done by cutting the ends of the horizontal brace and leaving a small tab, which is bent over and locks into the verticals and is held by the spline. Simple to do, hard to explain.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: