Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Lexan or polycarbonate or plexiglass at the Depot?

Old 11-07-08, 08:55 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know what kind of plastic they carry at Home Depot? I bought a 30" x 36" x 1/4" (or .220) sheet for $43.50 over there. For that price I'm guessing it's polycarbonate, but just wanted to check.

Thanks very much.

Old 11-07-08, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
For that price, I think its probably Poly...I don't think they carry thick Lexan. Might differ at your store.

The plastic film used to be blue for plex, green for poly and white for Lexan, IIRC.

Old 11-07-08, 11:10 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm not sure if Home Depot carries polycarbonate. If you bang the corner of the sheet on a hard surface(concrete floor), acrylic will chip and polycarbonate will dent.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 11-07-08 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Advertising link removed. NO ADVERTISING!
Old 11-07-08, 11:15 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Identity

Did the piece you bought have a label? Was there not a label on the rack where it was displayed?

Old 11-07-08, 11:55 AM
F
Thanks all for the replies. This was bought for me by a friend and the only label on the sheet is a sku. But I did find out some information from a manager:

The sheet I have is "Crystalite" acrylic, not poly or Lexan. The manager said that acrylic means plexiglass, and that Lexan is a brand name of a superior poly product. The Depot carries Lexan and those sheets are wrapped in white film with the brand name all over it and are much more expensive than acrylic. The Crystalite product is unmarked.

I appreciate the feedback.

Old 11-07-08, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Ahhh thats right...the Crystalite is much stronger than regular plexi. Something like 25X IIRC. And I think it is more UV resistant. Its what was recommended for window glass replacement.

Old 11-08-08, 03:50 AM
J
Lexan was the first polycarbonate product, not a different product. I think 'crystallite' is a modified version of plexiglass, as you suggested, with better UV blockers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: