Storm window...what do I need?

Old 11-12-08, 03:07 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Storm window...what do I need?

I want to install storm windows and know what I want but not sure what they are called or where to find them. I have standard double hung windows throughout with screens and the regular spring-latches. I want to remove the screens (easy enough) and have a single storm window pane in the same track. Not sure what the term for that is. Any ideas and if that is something a HD/Lowes or window store would sell standard or have to custom make?

Hopefully that makes sense
Thanks
C

Old 11-12-08, 03:52 AM
J
What you are describing sounds like a standard vinyl window with double insulated glass w/ 1/2 screens. If this is correct, you may not need storm windows, or will get little benefit from installing them. And it would require having custom storm sashes made, probably expensive.

If the widows are drafty and/or not what I understand them to be, weatherstripping may be needed.

Old 11-12-08, 04:07 AM
A
Thanks for the reply. The windows are double paned (I think). They aren;t drafty, just very cold. I figured having the storm window adds another layer and another "air barrier" to help keep heat in and cold out.

Old 11-12-08, 06:02 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi C, If your screens are full size, covering the whole window, then it would be helpful as you suggest to have another layer of glass on the outside. Even if they are a standard option for that window, they will not be cheap. If you have to have them made, even more $. But it doesn't hurt to ask. Check the mfg. of your window and ask your local stores or send an e-mail to them directly.

Now the bad news, as Bill stated, you "will get little benefit from installing them". Since you already have two panes of glass, adding a third will at best reduce the heat loss by 20% to 30% and that will be barely noticeable by you or your fuel bill.

Curtains, window quilts, or even just a pull down shade will block much of the radiant heat loss and eliminate some of that cold effect.

The storm window idea is a long term investment. There are several quick and simple, may not be pretty, fixes to reduce the heat loss and get you through the winter. Can post if you like.
Bud

Old 11-12-08, 06:36 AM
A
Thanks guys. We are in the DC area so we aren't freezing inside or anything; just looking for something to improve the heat efficiency but it doesn't look like storm windows are going to make much of a difference.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: