Wooden garage door needs repair

Old 11-20-08, 08:03 AM
Wooden garage door needs repair

I've got an old wooden multi panel garage door that is showing it's age. The door lost a few of it's screws and over time has become a bit 'racked'. I looked at prices to replace it and thought maybe I'd try to do something to try and repair it while I save up for the replacement.

I've filled the holes of the screws that pulled out with toothpicks with wood glue on them to try and give a little more meat for them to hold onto. I was thinking that perhaps I could actually drill through to the front of the door and put a bolt with washers on both ends on the front and the back side. I was also thinking that I could put some sort of metal collar in the hole first to distribute the tension on the wood from the bolt when the door is moving. Do they sell something like this at the hardware store?

Lastly, on repairing the racked wood, I was thinking of unscrewing the top part of the sections that needed to be repaired and then opening the door to pull the good sections out of the way so that I can work on the troubled areas. Do you think this is a decent approach? Most of the problems are on the lower door.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-08, 08:45 AM
Dinki, what about applying a thin plywood to the back face (inside face) of each section your garage door? This would secure all the individual stiles and rails and keep them from racking. Just be sure to not attach any floating panels to the plywood.

I would also check your hardware to make sure it will support the additional weight of the plywood.

Jim

Old 11-20-08, 09:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Garage door

All good ideas, carriage bolts from the front are pretty inoccuous and can be painted to watch the door. Reinforcing any reamed holes also a good idea. You can remove the panels completely from the bottom and work on them individually to tighten them up. You may have some loose glue joints which you can also tighten. I would not add plywood since it will increase the door weight and mess up the operation.

Old 11-20-08, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Depending on how old it is and the actual construction, these may be very temporary repairs. Many wooden doors used fingerjointed wood for the rails and stiles.

Had a neighbor who literally spent days and days tightening his 2 lower panels and reinforcing them with 1/4 ply, Gorilla Glue and screws on the inside. He carefully cut large pieces of the ply to be able to cover about half the door panel with each piece. Cleaned out all the separating joints as well as he could, wet them and injected GG into them. Attached the ply inside with GG, clamps and screws. Let it all set up, cleaned off the excess glue, sanded, painted. Wow...they looked great. Looked real strong and professional. Prob 2 weeks later he was asking me what brand steel door he should buy, as the joints were all seperating and the ply was cracking. The wood doors were just too heavy when up and the bowing force opened everything up again.

It's all about maintenance and weather.

Not saying you shouldn't make an attempt at repair, replacing hardware, etc, just don't go too crazy and expect it to last forever.

Old 12-03-08, 11:33 AM
Replacement of the door is basically your only option.

Unfortunately there is no standard to wood doors and there never was. In order to have a replacement section custom made, it would cost you the same as a replacement door.

Years of weather and abuse can cause the rot (in most cases dry rot) to eat away at the bottom sections on wood doors.

I wouldnt waste your time on repairs, because you will back out there in another 2 weeks or year doing the same thing, and each year it will get tougher and tougher to fix.

I would go to your local (and reputable) door dealer and look at options. You can even get a flush steel doors with wood cladding and custom paint that looks great, and will last alot of years.

CHEERS