Aluminum capping of window frames

Old 11-20-08, 02:53 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Aluminum capping of window frames

I have a 90 year old stone (fieldstone/rubblestone) home near Philadelphia. The home is in great shape and all of the wood trim on the windows is solid. I am replacing 30 windows with new double hung vinyl windows. My installer is strongly encouraging that I aluminum cap all of the wood trim to avoid future painting (I usually paint the trim every 5-7 years). He shapes the aluminum to maintain the architectural integrity and does a solid caulk job - I imagine caulking the outer edges is challenging though because of the stone reveal. The capping price is very reasonable and the thought of saving money on paint is tempting - but I am concerned about moisture getting under the aluminum and creating rot on otherwise great wood and also concerned that the aluminum finish will get a "chalky" look over time because I get a lot of sun vs. the nice glossy look of paint. Does anyone have any experience on the topic?

Old 11-20-08, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
If (IF!), capping/wrapping is done well, its a good thing. If it's done badly, it can be very very bad. All seams should overlap so that moisture runs off, not under. DO NOT depend on caulk to seal any joints or seams.

The aluminum if I'm not mistaken is not just painted, but has vinyl applied to it. It is available in woodgrain (striated) and smooth.

There are Experts here that can give you better pointers to look for, and more knowledgeable opinions. I hate painting, but my wife doesn't, so we share the exterior maintenance. I used to be of the opinion that capping/wrapping was great if all the wood was perfect. I heard so many horror stories of the results 5 yrs later that I'm not so sure now. Of course here, we don't really have any moisture problems.

I think it's all about the workmanship.

Old 11-20-08, 03:15 PM
J
Experience, about 24 yrs worth. Wrapping trim is often done, as he said, to reduce exterior maintenance. Done properly with the proper materials, you should not have any leaks behind the aluminum, and the finish should not chalk for 15-20yrs. If he uses the crap available at big box stores, then his workmanship is likey to be just as bad. Most reputable installers will use heavy gauge aluminum, .028+, which has a good baked finish.

Old 11-20-08, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Capping trim can make the exterior trim more "maintenance free", if that's what you're after. I've got 17 yrs of it under my belt, but wouldn't recommend it for EVERY home.

If your wood is solid, and you prefer to preserve the historical value of your home, then continue to paint the trim as you have been doing all this time.

Keep in mind that some installers like to clad the exterior because they cut off the blind stops when installing a replacement window from the OUTSIDE. Cladding the exterior covers their tracks.

Old 11-20-08, 09:18 PM
M
My windows will be installed from the inside, but I am not familar with the term "blind stop" - I do realize that I will have to do some paint touch up work on the outside after the install if i do not cap them - I am leaning toward not capping...thanks for all the responses so far

Old 11-20-08, 09:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The blind stop is what keeps the top sash of a double hung from falling out. When looking at the window from the outside, it's directly behind the exterior face trim. When windows are retrofit from the outside, this stop needs to be removed, which usually means cutting it off. If they will be installed from the inside, there's no worries.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: