Replacing windows in a Bedford Stone home

Old 12-01-08, 10:41 AM
Replacing windows in a Bedford Stone home

Hello,
I've been searching the internet for information on replacing windows in stone homes. We are preparing to do this and I cant bring myself to pay someone else to do it. I figured that replacing windows in a stone home would be much different than replacing them in a typical wood framed home. Our home is not wood framed. It is all block (all walls, interior included, are cinder block).

Anyone ever replaced windows in a home like this? What are some of the potential pitfalls that I may encounter?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-08, 03:35 PM
Sounds like a lot of houses around here. Built in 40'5-50's, semi custom, 4" block tied thru to stone or brick. Rocklathe plaster over furring strips nailed to the block. Sound about right?? The windows likely do not have any wood framing, but would have wood blocks set into the cinder block, for securing the windows. Brick or stone sill, steel lintel above supporting the block above. You can frame the opening with 1x or 2x stock and use that for a nailer, or use the existing wood to secure the window, but that reduces the opening size.

If you have better than average DIY skills, then I say you probably can do it. Remove the interior trim to see exactly what you have. That will give you a better idea how to size the windows.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-01-08, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Sounds like a lot of houses around here. Built in 40'5-50's, semi custom, 4" block tied thru to stone or brick. Rocklathe plaster over furring strips nailed to the block. Sound about right?? The windows likely do not have any wood framing, but would have wood blocks set into the cinder block, for securing the windows. Brick or stone sill, steel lintel above supporting the block above. You can frame the opening with 1x or 2x stock and use that for a nailer, or use the existing wood to secure the window, but that reduces the opening size.

If you have better than average DIY skills, then I say you probably can do it. Remove the interior trim to see exactly what you have. That will give you a better idea how to size the windows.

Hope this helps.
Yeah, that sounds about right. My bro inlaw is a highly skiled carpenter. He offered to do them for $50 per window (labor). I may just take him up on it and be his shadow. I'm sure I could learn a lot.

Thanks,
Ryan