removing old window glazing

Old 10-12-08, 05:39 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
removing old window glazing

Hello, What is the best way to remove old glazing from a wood sash. The method I'm using now (scraping and swearing) works but there must be an eaiser way. I've heard of something you can put on it to soften it, an attachment for your drill to grind it off, heat gun-do any of these things work?
Thanks

Old 10-12-08, 07:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Prazzi makes a tool you put in your drill that has a router bit attached to it. You hold the handle and run it along your glazing. Works like a charm. You may find them in Rocklers, or other supply houses.

Old 10-13-08, 03:45 AM
P
I've heard of that tool ,but did an internet search and came up with nothing. Maybe they are not making it anymore.

Old 10-13-08, 04:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've always used a 5in1 putty knife. If you are repainting the window, there is no need to remove all the glazing. Any glazing that is well adhered will last until it's time to repaint.

Old 10-13-08, 07:45 AM
S
Frankly,out there in homeowner land,most people use an old screwdriver.Some use a wood chisel but it must be an old dull one or you'll take off wood.

As Marksr said,if it won't come off then just leave it till next time.

Don't forget that many times under and within that glazing and/or putty are glaziers points,metal peices used to hold glass in place while putty is applied.They can be a small diamond or triangle or a larger pointed shelf design.

If you hit one while removing putty you can push it into the glass and crack it.

Old 10-13-08, 08:08 AM
P
I am completely stripping the window down to bare wood and starting over.The old glazing is bad on 2 out of four sides so I would like to just take it all off and start over. I have alot of windows to do and that is why I was looking for an eaiser and faster method. Thanks for the info. They still make the Prazi tool. One z instead of two. Thanks

Old 10-13-08, 09:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The correct order to glaze and paint a window is
#1 - prime raw wood
#2 - glaze
#3 - prime glazing [after it has dried overnight]
#4 - paint window

just incase you didn't know

Old 10-13-08, 04:26 PM
P
After checking out some more websites I found a person who used a straight piece of wood clamped to the window and a top bearing carbide pattern router bit. I tried this and it works great. You can't go all the way into the corners but it removes most of it and leaves a nice clean straight edge. Best of all it only takes a short time to set up and saves alot of scraping. Thanks everyone for the tips.

Old 10-19-08, 04:08 AM
S
Prime glazing

Originally Posted by marksr
The correct order to glaze and paint a window is
#1 - prime raw wood
#2 - glaze
#3 - prime glazing [after it has dried overnight]
#4 - paint window

just incase you didn't know
I have been trying to figure out why I am having such a hard time with the paint not sticking to the glazing and you may have answered that........what do you mean by prime glazing?

Old 10-19-08, 04:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
After the glazing has set up - primer should be applied to the glazing.

Old 10-19-08, 04:59 AM
H
We use a propane torch. Put it on real low and MOVE constantly keeping heat on the puty working about 4" at a time as to not let the putty cool off. When putty gets soft enough use chisel and remove putty. The trick here is not to keep the flame in one spot for too long. They also sell a cornered heat gun specially made to take putty out but it may not be economically feasible.

Old 12-07-08, 06:54 AM
Z
check out harbor freight. they sell heat guns for about 10 bucks - and you can get an attachment kit for a few bux more which will direct the heat to a specific area. this is very helpful when working around glass.

as stated above about the propane torch, slowly move the heat gun around as to not burn the wood frame or crack the glass. get a new and strong putty knife to scrape out the softened glazing. i found that the bond is usually strongest between the wood and the glazing so if you apply the heat and scrape there instead of against the glass, you'll have better luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: