Stuck Patio doors

Old 12-19-08, 09:16 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stuck Patio doors

Hi all, i fitted some patio doors about 2 years ago, they were from wickes and they open out (not sliding). About a week ago my partner said the lead door was sticking a bit when opened. I had a look today and it is jammed, it appears to be only at the very bottom because i can slightly push the top ajar. I have tried lifting , dropping, squaring them up from the adjustments outside bit just cant get it open. Its as almost like one of the bottom lock pins has taken root.....any advice would be much appreciated......

Old 12-20-08, 04:35 AM
J
Certainly sounds that way. Do you know the brand of the door?? Does it lock top and bottom at the same time when you lift up on the handle?? If yes, either the rod in binding in the hole or somehting has come apart in the mechanism. Can you get the other door open?? If not you may have to find a way to pry up the locking rod, screwdriver or something. Then you can figure out what is or is not working. If you can get the other door open, the mechanism is mounted in the edge of the door and can be removed by removing screws.

Old 12-20-08, 09:25 PM
F
Hi Bill, not sure off the make? looks like i will have to pry it open somehow....could proove very difficult , does anyone out there have any idea on how to do that, bearing in mind that there is a flange to tackle up and over? Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated...

Old 12-21-08, 05:06 AM
J
Not the whole door. I am suggesting you try to pry up the locking rod. Is the center bolt still in the passive door, is the rod up in the top???? Or just the bottom??? I am visualizing the Andersen type 3-point locking system. It could be that this is not what you have.

Old 12-21-08, 04:42 PM
F
Yes their is definately a locking pin in the top and side and they both invert when turned with the key and handle, The passive door has 2 catches top and bottom and i can (just) manage to put them in a position where the passive would normally open, but it will not push past the stuck door because the centre style is attatched to it. Any more guidance would be much appreciated Bill.

Old 12-22-08, 04:11 AM
J
The locking pin mechanism is either broken, or the pins are simply stuck in top or bottom. Pushing down the handle is supposed to disengage all locks, try pushing or pulling the door and push hard on the handle. Best I can offer from here.

Old 12-22-08, 02:42 PM
F
ok Bill thanx for the advice, ill give that a go...merry xmas

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: