Double hinged garage door 8'x7'?

Old 11-14-08, 03:03 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Double hinged garage door 8'x7'?

Where can I find a double hinged garage door not too expensive, o how can I build it. (regular opening 8 foot wide by 7 foot hight).

Old 11-14-08, 03:29 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You will want an insulated door. Visit local home centers and building supply stores to compare apples to apples as well as price. Ask about installation costs and warranties on parts and labor. If you have a garage door opener, check to see if the installation of the garage doors includes hook-up to the opener. You have a standard size garage door. The least expensive will be the steel, insulated door with no windows.

Old 11-14-08, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
If you are talking about an actual swing-out carriage house door, be prepared for a huge shock on pricing. True carriage house doors are almost always made of different weather resistant woods (redwood, mahogany, etc), reinforced with steel bracing. They are a specialty item and are normally custom made.

If you want just the look of a carriage house door, every major manufacturer of garage doors offers several ranges of price and quality. Of course the ones that look the most like an actual carriage house door are in the upper end, but for that size they are not excessive in price.

I think trying to build one that will last, look nice, operate correctly, and not sag very quickly is an exercise best left to a master carpenter.

Old 12-03-08, 11:59 AM
R
Originally Posted by Lata4201
Where can I find a double hinged garage door not too expensive, o how can I build it. (regular opening 8 foot wide by 7 foot hight).
What exactly do you mean by a double hinged garage door. Can you be a little more specific?

CHEERS

Old 12-16-08, 09:09 AM
R
I have been looking for an answer to this question for over a year. In my case, I don't have enough height to use an overhead door. I have been priced over $3,000 for a pair of doors for a 6'8" by 8' opening. That does not include the jamb or installation, nor does it have gold inlay.

My hope is to use either cypress or PT pine for the framing and cover it with 3/4" cedar vertical siding. I would guess some sort of Z-buck or mortise/tenon would be needed for stability. I don't have the proper tooling for mortise/tenion but would be willing to hand tool it using drills and chisels. I have a drill press and believe that an attachment is available for the mortise. I could use my table saw and compound slide saw for the tenon.

Given that, is there any material that would guide me through the necessary steps? I might want to include a small amount of glass at the top of the doors. I have a lumber mill nearby that can provide the cypress for framing and someone who would run it through their planer.

Thanks for any suggestions and I don't think I hijacked this thread but rather added to it.

Old 12-16-08, 09:59 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
double garage door

Why not just build a carrage house or barn type pair of doors out of vertical T&G material and horizontal and diagonal supports?

Old 12-16-08, 02:53 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Another option would be to make it "hollow core". That's what I did with a pair of shed doors that I built about 20 years ago, and they haven't sagged yet. Each door is about 80" tall and 24" wide.

I used 2X3's for the perimeter frame of each (they are a little lighter than 2X4's), a couple of horizontal 2X's lapped into each frame as a stiffener, plywood siding (T1-11) on the exterior to match the shed siding, and a 3/8" plywood panel on the interior of each.

A pair of heavy duty 5" "T" hinges with 1/4" carrage bolts holding them in place on each door.

Old 12-23-08, 01:13 PM
R
Originally Posted by readingalot
I have been looking for an answer to this question for over a year. In my case, I don't have enough height to use an overhead door. I have been priced over $3,000 for a pair of doors for a 6'8" by 8' opening. That does not include the jamb or installation, nor does it have gold inlay.

My hope is to use either cypress or PT pine for the framing and cover it with 3/4" cedar vertical siding. I would guess some sort of Z-buck or mortise/tenon would be needed for stability. I don't have the proper tooling for mortise/tenion but would be willing to hand tool it using drills and chisels. I have a drill press and believe that an attachment is available for the mortise. I could use my table saw and compound slide saw for the tenon.

Given that, is there any material that would guide me through the necessary steps? I might want to include a small amount of glass at the top of the doors. I have a lumber mill nearby that can provide the cypress for framing and someone who would run it through their planer.

Thanks for any suggestions and I don't think I hijacked this thread but rather added to it.
Just out of curiosity, what is your rough opening, and your headroom inside the garage? Sounds like you are wanting and going with something thats quite elaborate for a garage door opening. Are you planning on motorizing these doors?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: