Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Basement door/window trim, ceiling to low....

Old 01-01-09, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a slight dilema.... I am getting a dropped ceiling installed and I noticed the door and window trim where the ceiling drops will be VERY minimal... I see for the doors, I see an inch if that where I can put trim. For my windows, it actually extends passed where the trim would be! Awwww... Can anyone tell me what my options are on how to trim to doors/windows where the ceiling ends...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-09, 08:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 159 Posts
On windows where the top of the window opening (and trim) are higher than the drop ceiling, I have seen people box out the window and trim with a 3-sided box or jamb, so that you have a higher ceiling inside the jamb than you do outside the jamb.

On a door where the trim goes up into the ceiling, you'd probably want to make a line on the trim and then cut that portion off, removing it completely so that the wall angle can continue right on past the trim without having to go around it. That way it would look like the trim was fit up to the ceiling, rather than the ceiling bumping out and going around the existing door trim.

Old 01-01-09, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
On windows where the top of the window opening (and trim) are higher than the drop ceiling, I have seen people box out the window and trim with a 3-sided box or jamb, so that you have a higher ceiling inside the jamb than you do outside the jamb.

On a door where the trim goes up into the ceiling, you'd probably want to make a line on the trim and then cut that portion off, removing it completely so that the wall angle can continue right on past the trim without having to go around it. That way it would look like the trim was fit up to the ceiling, rather than the ceiling bumping out and going around the existing door trim.
Hi Xsleeper,

I am new to all of this and just not getting what you are saying... Are there any examples, if you know, that are out there so I can look at what you are explaining? Thanks!

Old 02-19-09, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by dcanesdbs View Post
Hi Xsleeper,

I am new to all of this and just not getting what you are saying... Are there any examples, if you know, that are out there so I can look at what you are explaining? Thanks!
I'm almost finished with my basement. I could only have a 6'10" ceiling height with a drop ceiling and I had to cut every door 2". the trim still has to be cut as well. I have the same problems as you.
I should be done in a week or so I can post some pictures then

Old 03-13-09, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by CaulkFixesAll View Post
I'm almost finished with my basement. I could only have a 6'10" ceiling height with a drop ceiling and I had to cut every door 2". the trim still has to be cut as well. I have the same problems as you.
I should be done in a week or so I can post some pictures then
Hi, how did it turn out? Mine turned out ok.. Do you have pics? My ceiling height is 6'11... My tiles are about 2 inches from the floor joists... Kinda tight but that is the only way to save head room

Old 03-17-09, 07:48 AM
ill post some pics this week, just finishing painting the trim and base moulding. it looks nice actually. i have about a 6'8" ceiling in most spots some places 6'10" (my basement floor is sloped slightly. I installed my grid 2.5" below the bottom of the joists. it wasn't too bad getting the tiles in.

Old 03-23-09, 08:00 AM
heres a couple pics

here is what it used to look like down there