Cornice? Awning? Window overhang?

Old 01-06-09, 01:59 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cornice? Awning? Window overhang?

I am looking to trim out a casement window on a mudroom remodel for a house around 100 years old. I have a thumbnail pic (from where I'm not sure...) that shows a basic design of more-or-less what I want to do. Since the mudroom has no real eve, I want to create a decorative overhang built into the trim above it. Essentially this would be a shed style roof that protrudes out around 6-10 inches from the wall (made of a roofed piece 1 x __) and is supported by two brackets nailed to the side trim casings. I am not sure what this would be called, but I've had little luck scouring the internet using terms like cornice, awning or overhang. So, what is this thing, or is it simply some modification of trimwork. I've seen somewhat similar work on a few older houses here in Louisville, KY, but nothing identical to the small pic I have. I was hoping to figure out what its called to get better design ideas for details of it.... Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 01-06-09, 03:32 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
A plain flat casement does not any special exterior treatment. You simply match what is there now. If you are talking about a bay/bow window that is a different story. They require some sort of roof if the eve is short or non-existent. Many manufacturers offer a premanufactured roof for their windows, check options.

Old 01-06-09, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Are you referring to a box bay, or a box oriel?

Old 01-07-09, 05:05 AM
S
This is neither a box bay, nor an oriel window. It is a replacement vinyl casement window that I had to build in for (I got a good deal ($250) for a 60"x60" double casement). I essentially built a 1"x6" box with stops to contain the window, but I still need to trim it out. I am looking to build a small overhang primarily to minimize rain entry in to the window opening itself since there is really no eve above. The previous owner simply had EPDM overhanging the edge by a couple of inches going into the gutter. The original trim is gone, but was merely a wrapped piece of 1"x4" with a storm window over it". The new window is not the same size or shape as the old (thus the new sill that I built in for it).

Old 01-07-09, 05:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I see... it sounds like you want to build a large entablature, with a wide pitched drip cap?

Similar to this illustration? http://www.mhl.org/historicpreservat...ntablature.jpg

Old 01-07-09, 05:54 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can you take a picture on what you have, and post it along with the picture of what you want to an image hosting site, and then post the links here?

Old 01-07-09, 06:24 AM
S
Yes, that is somewhat like what I have in mind.
I haven't uploaded images before, but hopefully this will work...

The image is a thumbnail (low res) pic I snagged off of some home improvement site a while back. It isn't exactly an "entablature", but similar concept. I'm definitely looking to do something less ornate, but still fancier than a simple casing.

Old 01-07-09, 06:47 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Depending on how that's attached and flashed (if it's flashed) at its horizontal junction with the wall I would call that either a "shed roof" or (more likely) an "awning", supported by "decorative architectural awning brackets".

For example, this is the first hit GOOGLE images returns

for "decorative awning brackets"

Old 01-07-09, 09:04 AM
S
Hmm, I looked around using those terms, but as when I tried before, almost all of the hits I get are for canvas/aluminum/plastic awnings, not any form of trim work. While the one you pulled up is somewhat similar I was hoping to be able to find some other designs to draw from similar to the one I posted. Similarly, I get no real hits with anything pertaining to shed roofs on Google images.
One other question would be what suggestions do you all have for surfacing the top of this? I am envisioning the "roof" of it being no more than 6-8" out so shingles seem a bit silly (though do-able). I was thinking maybe some peel and stick copper flashing might look snazzier. Also maybe small fish scale wood shingles...Any thoughts? Also, I want to avoid the "metal brackets". I want this to look like a consistent integrated piece of trimwork rather than something simply tacked on. I was thinking similar to the one in my earlier post of doing some scrollwork in the brackets. Does anyone know of any site that might have some templates of scrollwork to transfer to a bracket like this? Fleur de Lis maybe?

Originally Posted by Michael Thomas
Depending on how that's attached and flashed (if it's flashed) at its horizontal junction with the wall I would call that either a "shed roof" or (more likely) an "awning", supported by "decorative architectural awning brackets".

For example, this is the first hit GOOGLE images returns

for "decorative awning brackets"

Old 01-07-09, 09:16 AM
S
Apparently the term I am looking for in my design is a "pentice" or a "pent roof". Though since the term is obscure, there aren't many references to it that I can find....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: