Single Pane Bay Windows

Old 01-08-09, 07:05 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Single Pane Bay Windows

I have two single pane bay windows: one in the living room measuring 5' x 4' and one "triangular" window in our cathedral master bedroom high on the wall measuring 10' wide x 4' high. I have used those clear window films with a blow dryer to add some protection and it has helped. However, I still feel cold air leaking through. What else can I do to block outside cold air from getting through? The triangular window in the master is worse since we sleep there and it is difficult to keep our room warm during the winter.

Old 01-08-09, 07:53 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi Mike, With the shrink plastic in place, there should be no outside air leaking in around the glass. So what you are feeling is either air leaking around the window frame, which is very common, or cold air cooling from the surface of the now plastic covering, falling to the floor and creating a cold draft. An incense stick or punk stick will give you a bit of friendly smoke that might help you find any leaks. Air will typically leak in on the lower half of the house and out on the upper half. Window fans, yes cold, or bath exhaust fans can be turned on to enhance the air movement. Most homes have fiberglass insulation stuffed in around the window under the trim. Since fiberglass doesn't block air flow, windows often have a lot of leakage around the frame. Dap non expanding foam works great to fill this space and provide a good air seal.

As a winter solution, you can build an insulated covering for the inside. Window quilts do a great job, but won't easily fit that bedroom window.

I am testing some of the foil/bubble/foil products as window covers and so far they seem very good. The foil surface reflects the heat and they provide a bit of insulation. Unfortunately, they don't provide any light, so have to be put up and taken down as needed. But for sleeping that might be ok.

More questions, glad to help.
Bud

Last edited by Bud9051; 01-08-09 at 07:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-08-09, 08:22 PM
M
I'm looking more for a solution that is permanent for summer and winter and not having to be taken down.

I know replacement is best but each will cost me over $1,000 each.

Would window tint help?

Old 01-09-09, 05:39 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
In terms of insulating, if the tint has any reflective properties where it can reduce radiant heat loss while not reducing radiant heat gain, then possibly, but I haven' looked at any specs to judge. If however you are experiencing air leakage around the glass, it can be overlapped to help seal the edges.

The more expensive permanent solution is to have some custom thermo pane storms made. Worth checking the price.

Bud

Old 01-09-09, 11:15 AM
M
Will thicker clear Vinyl Sheeting work for these Bay Windows. Will that block any air going out or coming in? If so, what is the best method for mounting?

Old 01-09-09, 01:22 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Bay window

The film you are using will stop any air from getting in around the sash. As stated before your leak is most likely around the frame.If you can pull the trim and foam around the frame you will notice a difference. One more idea,I had a 10 foot picture window that was completely gone. The price for a new one was $1500 I bought two double hungs and one fixed pane for $300 framed the opening to fit and have a nice looking insulated window.

Old 01-09-09, 05:09 PM
M
The tape holding the window film is tapes on the frame as well. If I take the frame off, then the film comes off too.

That's a good idea but the window in the master cathedral is triangular so I really dont have much of a choice there. I would rather put two double hung windows instead.

Old 01-09-09, 09:04 PM
M
I plan to purchase an 8MIL clear sheeting made by Frost King or Thermwell and I would like to use that to cover my triangular shaped window in my cathedral master BR high on the wall.

What is the best way to mount or install it so the sheeting is nice and tight and not so noticeable? I would like to mount it on the window frame.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: