Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Replacing sidelight windows at the front door

Old 03-03-09, 08:59 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

We have a custom made front entrance with a turn-of-the-century wood front door and two sidelight windows that are single pane, one foot wide by seven feet high. Evidently these were just caulked into place and then a one inch by one inch wood strip nailed around them to further secure them in place. Originally, what I wanted to do was just add custom made high R value windows on the outside, but someone pointed out there would be condensation between the old window and the new. Therefore, I guess I should just try to replace what is there. Who will make custom size windows like this with high R value? I know Heat Mirror and Serious Windows make an R10 or better window, but what do you do about small custom jobs?

Old 03-03-09, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Most any glass shop will be able to order gas filled LoE glass to fit your application.

Some of the higher efficiency window manufacturers have proprietary coatings and gas mixes, that you may not be able to get.

Sounds like you should be able to remove the old, rip down the stop strip to compensate for the thicker glass, and reinstall.

Old 03-03-09, 02:15 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunguy45
Most any glass shop will be able to order gas filled LoE glass to fit your application.
I also have single pane sidelights that I would like to replace with either with insulated units or add a 2nd storm window-like pane. Since the slidelights go to the floor, won't any changes need to incorporate tempered glass?

Old 03-03-09, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
All depends on how they are installed and the thickness of the sidelight frames themselves.
And yes, if they go to the floor, they need tempered glass.

Richard has a pretty easy retrofit, a glass shop would advise him of requirements.

Not sure what you have. New thread please, to avoid confusion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: