window mold issue

Old 03-05-09, 07:40 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
window mold issue

I live in a 9 year old log home that we just bought a year ago. I recently noticed that on some of my windows (not all) that there is some black mold growing just below the window pane on the wood frame (windows are vinyl on the outside and wood on inside). I have a few questions and if anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it.

First question- I see no condensation on the windows so I don't know why the mold is there? The original/previous owner seemed to be a do-it-yourselfer who didn't really always know what he was doing and I don't know if he is the one who installed the windows and if that could be part of the problem? I also don't know if our windows (they are Anderson) have any sort of sealer(?) on the inside wood part to keep moisture from getting in to the wood?

Second question- how do I remove the mold safely? We have an 8 month old baby so I need to be careful about what I use.

Third question- how do I prevent it from coming back?

I would appreciate any help.

thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-09, 08:38 AM
I have old single pane windows and my mold is caused by condensation on the window. When you open the blinds/curtains, the stuff dries out pretty quickly so its hard to "catch".

I clean mine with a mixture of bleech and water but I dont care if I take the color out of any paint since its already white. If you have anything other than white, or bare/coated wood, I would suggest caution as you may put stains on it or bleech out the color.

If you want to test if its condensation or not, fold up a paper towel and leave it at the bottom of the sill. If you need to, tape it to the bottom of the window with painters tape or something that removes easily.

I bet it absorbs moisture in a couple of days, weather outside depending--how much heat runs, etc.

The only windows in my house that do not do this are newer windows that are all vinyl clad.

Old 03-06-09, 05:02 AM
Anderson wood frame sashes generally come unstained and unprotected.

Clean with bleach/soap as mentioned.
Let dry thoroughly.
Stain with an oil base stain then cover with a coat or two of poly. (I thin my poly with 50% mineral spirits, you can almost wipe it on.)

as info, Anderson sashes(upper or lower) can be purchased individually directly from Anderson.

fred

Old 03-06-09, 05:06 AM
mold on window sash

Is there any way to stop the condensation from forming on the window pane/sash?

Old 03-06-09, 05:50 PM
thanks so much! it's wonderful to have such great people to help out with problems. thanks for all the info

Old 03-06-09, 06:22 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cyaxtra View Post
Is there any way to stop the condensation from forming on the window pane/sash?
Yes lower RH down tell windows stop sweating.

Old 03-12-09, 10:58 AM
my window sill need replacing can i do it myself