Adding Windows in Kitchen, Need Help

Old 03-11-09, 10:05 AM
M
Received 23 Upvotes on 18 Posts
Adding Windows in Kitchen, Need Help

I'm remodeling my kitchen, and will be replacing the full height windows in the pop-out with regular sized windows in order to accomodate a new row of cabinets. I am comfortable with tearing out the new windows and building the wall up myself, but wanted to get some advice before doing so. I'm assuming that I should select the windows I want first, then build the wall to the correct dimensions. Does this make sense? Do I need to build the wall in a specific way (double studs, etc.)?

Old 03-11-09, 01:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,744 Upvotes on 1,568 Posts
Yes, that would make sense if you are going with standard sized windows. But you can also get custom sized windows that are made to fit your opening.

So, say for instance you already purchased your cabinets, and that you know you are going to have 80" between wall cabinets... and that you want to use 1x4 window trim with backbanding that will butt up tight to your wall cabinets (just as an example). And you'd like to have your window sill (stool) and apron be about 1" above the backsplash of your countertop.

The above requirements would probably mean that you would need custom window sizes so that all of the above would work out.

Additionally, there may be size considerations based on your existing exteriors... siding, brick, trim, etc. that you would want to try and foresee.

So it's a question of being able to foresee the final product, and whether or not the exact sizes of the window will be important in the grand scheme of things or not.

And as far as the framing is concerned, you probably already have a header over the opening, with a king stud and trimmer on each side of your windows. Once you determine your rough sill height, you will add a short stud onto the trimmer on each side, set the rough sill on top of that, and fill in the space underneath with short studs that follow the 16" OC pattern on the rest of your wall. A double rough sill is nice if you will be using stools and aprons, but it's not always necessary.

Old 03-11-09, 04:50 PM
M
Received 23 Upvotes on 18 Posts
I think I follow what you are saying. There will only be base cabinets, no wall cabinets, and I will basically be cutting the window height in half, so I don't need to worry about any exterior issues etc. Based on what you have told me, it sounds like I simply need to select a window, determine the rough-in measurements, and build my wall to that height. Thanks for your input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: