Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Need to trim height off an aluminum storm door

Old 03-13-09, 03:57 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello Folks

I have a wooden storm door that needs to be replaced. After shopping around, it looks like I will have to use an aluminum or vinyl door. My problem is that the door needs to be trimmed by about 2 1/2 inches on the height to fit the opening. If I could find a wooden door, no problem, but I don't know how to trim an aluminum or vinyl door. It's a 30" door with approx a 77 1/2" height. Can anyone help before I buy a door and possibly ruin it? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-13-09, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
If you get a door with a wood core and aluminum skins, its pretty simple. Cheap aluminum or vinyl doors may not allow it.

You can trim the door as long as it won't interfere with the hinges. There may be a bit of a rough edge one one side because of the saw blade cutting through, you can clean it ip with a file, then use touch up paint/primer on the cut edge, it will be covered probably anyway. I'd use a circular saw with a cheap plain steel plywood/finish blade. Cut with exterior down since the saw will cut on the upstroke of the blade.

Just remove the aluminum channel that is probably screwed in all around the door, cut it and reattach the channel. I always remove the channel and smear a acrylic latex or silicone caulk on the exposed edges of the door, even if I'm not going to cut it. You'll have to re-miter cut the ends of the channel, but they are thin aluminum. You could use a regular miter saw for that, not a huge deal. If you only have a manual miter box, get a cheap backsaw to to it. No problem if you have a power miter saw.

Hope I was clear...any questions..just ask.

Old 03-13-09, 04:26 PM
M
Thanks Gunguy. I'm assuming that the door I buy will be prehung. I'll have to trim off the door and the frame. Should I remove the door from the frame and cut each seperately or try to cut through it all in one fell swoop?

I have a chop saw if I need it.

Old 03-13-09, 04:40 PM
M
I guess my question is moot. In re-reading your post, I realized that in order to remove the aluminum channel I would HAVE to remove the door from the frame, cut the door down, then measure and re-mitre the side channels, then re-assemble the channels onto the door. Then, cut the frame down to match.

How will I know what the core is in the door?

Old 03-13-09, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
Storm doors aren't normally prehung...I have seen some (mostly security storms), but not common, at least not in my areas. The frame (z-bars and drip cap) will be all loose.

You can't cut it all at once since that will mess up the miters, if it has them. The sides of the frame are cut square, but the channel on the door itself are normally mitered. You'll have to look at the door to be sure.

Old 03-13-09, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
They all either have just a sheet metal/vinyl panel (cheap doors) or a wood core..not quite so cheap. The sales person should be able to tell you if its not labeled.

Old 03-13-09, 08:41 PM
M
I hope they're not prehung, it would certainly be easier that way. I'll go out and look at some doors again, only now I know what I'm looking for!

Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: