Help choosing size of entry door.

Old 03-17-09, 11:17 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help choosing size of entry door.

We are looking to replace our existing double entry doors with a single fiberglass door with satellites on either side. I went down to Home Depot and picked the doors and satellites we liked by Masonite, but I need to pick the width of the door and need help determining that.

My rough opening width is 68.75" and looking at the brochure from Masonite I see two options that would fit that opening:

Option A:
- two 14" wide satellites with a 36" wide door but the required rough opening needed is 69" and has a finished door size of 68.125".

Option B"
- 14" wide satellites with a 34" wide door and need a rough opening of 67" with a finished width of 66.125".

Ideally I would go for the larger door, but given my rough opening is 1/4" smaller than the required opening, I am wondering if this work and I'll have enough room to shim. Or should I go for the smaller door, and laminate a thin board to either size in order to fit the smaller required opening.

Btw - the Home Depot staff were useless in helping me on this and suggested I contact a contractor.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-09, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
The HD folks can't recommend one way or the other..cause if it doesn't work..they take the hit...and they wind up with a marked down door and a PO'd customer. Depending on the store..95% of the sales people have never installed what they sell. Just like the guy selling the Corvette may never be able to afford one. OK..my retail worker defense is done...lol.

Option A is only giving you 5/8". If it was a single door, I'd say go for it. But I also know the tolerances some of the doors w/sidelights are built to. Could be a real tight fit with a door that never really functions correctly.

Option B may require wider trim on the interior and exterior..but its the way I would roll.

EDIT....Ohhhhh...do you have any other 36" or wider doors in the house? It could be tough moving furniture and appliances in, if you don't.

Old 03-17-09, 11:57 AM
Upvotes: 0
We have a sliding patio door that is like 60" wide so I should be ok for moving stuff.