Inexpensive Window Manufacturers?

Old 03-14-09, 08:00 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Inexpensive Window Manufacturers?

Hi, I'm replacing some old windows and I'm trying to find some really inexpensive, but new and durable, windows.

The insulating value isn't important because the aging structure isn't insulated at all; even if it was, the building is only used once a week (as a nursery/Sunday School building by my church) and those are the only times any climate control is used, so the energy savings would be negligible. I'm pushing for updates, though; but that's another story.

My biggest concerns are durability and budget limits. By durability, I don't want a kid to stumble and end up with a body part poking through the hole in the glass he just created... durability from the elements is important, but still secondary to the kid's safety.

The current windows can be broken by applying moderate pressure to the glass with your hand, you don't have to hit it, just push on it.

Also, the current windows don't open and close properly (if they move at all), so that's another reason they need to be replaced.

I could order some tempered glass, or better yet, hurricane rated glass, and build my own windows; but I don't really have the time and I'd prefer something a little more maintenance free, i.e. vinyl.

Do any manufacturers still make uninsulated, single-pane windows?

Right now, the least expensive window that is still durable and looks good that I've found will run about $160 per window. It'll be less once I actually order them, (gotta love independent, local building supply companies, give them some business and you're a preferred customer with benefits. ) But if I could find some 2-8X4-0's that fit my needs in the $100 or less range, I would be one happy carpenter.

Thanks,
Jeffrey

Old 03-15-09, 06:43 AM
check out Habitat for humanities restore if they have one in your area

ours has a lot of surplus new windows Ive bought a few

Habitat ReStores -- Habitat for Humanity Int'l

why limit yourself to new windows , Ive done well at demolation sales of houses that where being remodled or torn down

"you pull it "

Old 03-15-09, 07:28 AM
J
I hadn't thought about H. for H. I'll definitely follow up on that. I've considered trying to hunt down some not-so-new windows, and it's definitely not out of the question, but my church will probably prefer something with a warranty though.

But, like I said, I've been pushing for updating this building, and hopefully I'll get them to let me insulate it... and consequently turn whatever inexpensive window I find and install into the weak link as far as energy efficiency goes. So a set of good condition, energy efficient windows pulled from another building would be me preference regardless of any warranty (or lack thereof).

Thanks for the help!

~Jeffrey

Old 03-15-09, 04:03 PM
J
If the windows are in an area where kids can go through them, the glass must be safety or tempered, which raises the price. But regardless of the use, you always pay more for 'cheap', in the long run. In most cases, I would never recommend the cheap windows at big box stores, but check them out. Once you get into special glass, they will all be custom orders anyhow. Installation of "Energy Star" qualified products, may give tax advantages at the end of the year.

Old 03-20-09, 12:50 PM
J
Yeah, the safety of the kids is my #1 concern. I'm just trying to save as many dollars as I can without compromising that. Also, I consider "inexpensive" to be a completely different description than "cheap." To me "cheap" = "crap priced as crap," and "inexpensive" = "purpose-appropriate blend of quality and price". My original post doesn't contain the word "cheap," and I totally agree with you.

I'll have to check out the "Energy Star" benefits to see if any are available in my application.

Thanks again guys.

~Jeffrey

P.S. What Wilmington are you from Bill? I'm on the coast of NC for about two weeks, Wrightsville Beach actually. I had to pass through Wilmington to get here, and thought I'd ask you a question (unrelated to this thread) unless I still have a bit more northward driving to do. I was going to ask about nailing code in this area (the ocean is right across the street). I'm going to check the usual way to be sure, but figured I might get a heads-up from you quicker...

Old 03-20-09, 03:54 PM
J
Wilmington DE. I assume you are talking about roof sheathing??? 2006 IRC: R803.1 Roof sheathing 5/8 min w/24" rafter spacing. R905.2.5-nails for shingles, Galv or stainless, must penetrate sheathing that is less than 3/4, no staples. Can't find the nailing schedule, usually 12" on edges, 16" in the field. Not sure what NC uses. I know FL has a really strict codes for nailing/shingles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: