Patio slider: Pella or Jeld-Wen or ??

Old 03-18-09, 08:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patio slider: Pella or Jeld-Wen or ??

I need to replace my 1970 aluminum frame patio sliding door. Leaks like a sieve in the winter and gets ice on the frame when it's below 20F. Since my windows are wood, I would prefer a wood interior and clad aluminum or vinyl exterior as long as I can get it in a brown shade. I will have it installed by a contractor I have used in the past.

At my local big box stores, they have a Pella Proline 250 for about $980 and I got a quote for a Jeld-Wen "Premium Wood Tradition Plus" wood/clad alluminum door for about $1300. I had quotes from a local vinyl window shop (including installation) ranging from $1200 for "economy grade" to $2000 for "best grade." Should be receiving a quote (incl install) from a local lumber yard this week for a Marvin and/or Andersen.

Any brand recommendations, pro or con?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-09, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
If you want a traditional French door look....the Andersen Frenchwood ($1575 list w/ std hardware, Hi perf glass and no screen) is a great door. Their Narrowline series ($1150 list w/std hdwr, dual pane glass and no screen) has the more modern look with a larger glass area and narrower frame, but uses the same rollers, latch, and sill design.
These are all list prices ...you will prob see them about 15% less at a yard or supply house.

Fancier hardware might run $100, the screen maybe $125..LowE on the Narrowline is a std option...think its only about $50? These are retail as I remember them.
Andersen also has a transferable non-prorated warranty...dunno about the others.

Personally I don't like the interior screen of a Pella, but I have cats..they'd shred it if it was available to them year round. Also, I just don't like the look of Pella's hardware.
Don't know about their sill design or rollers.

Jeld-Wen doors are ok, but I think their sill design, screen, and rollers are not as sturdy as some others. Since they are just a bit cheaper than Andersen normally, I'd go with the Andersens.

No experience with Marvin. Supposed to be quality products, but I've heard they are pretty pricey.

Grille options can really run up the price of a door.

And be sure to check same brand pricing at more than one place..if possible. Some places will get larger discounts from the manufacturer, based on volume of sales and market competition.

I put in an Andersen slider at my last house..and Frenchwood swing doors here....I'd buy them again...even if I had to pay full price..which I didn't.

Old 03-18-09, 03:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
I second Andersen, best bang for your buck, IMHO. Frenchwood in a hinged door or a glider is a very nice door.