Short cripple studs?

Old 03-22-09, 07:40 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Short cripple studs?

I'm installing swing door and garage door headers under an existing beam on an open carport that is being framed in. The headers need to be at least 2x8 for the span but the vertical distance they need to cover is an odd size, about 7-3/4". The way I see it I can either use 2x10 planks and try to rip them to the exact size or use shims/blocking or (very short!) cripple studs between the header and the beam.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-09, 09:02 AM
Consider a cripple less, free span with a space, install. Possibly with a steel reinforcing plate sandwiched within the header to counter deflection.

Before choosing a solid or cripple route you should have answered a few fundamental questions. Some of them: How well built is the carport (design, material, construction)? Loads, uplift, racking, is each accounted for? This beam that you're framing under: How old is it? (permanent set, sag, bow, twist, load and defection). On and on...

Old 03-22-09, 03:40 PM
1/2" solid steel plate? Sounds like overkill to fill a space that is usually filled with cripples. Are you talking about something manufactured for this purpose?

What I was trying to get at was that I need the solid header for the span. I just need to know how to connect it to the beam.

Old 03-22-09, 07:13 PM
I would put the beam at the top of the wall and use cripples from the beam down to the opening.

Bill

Old 03-22-09, 09:55 PM
If Bill62's suggestion will work use it.

I did not say use a steel plate. In fact, you didn't indicate the thickness of the beam or anything else.

One way to make the connection is with tie plates (similar to TP/TPA Tie Plates). Either exterior using flat plates, or with a built up header concealed L-shaped plates back to back, with the short leg attached to the beam.

Old 03-23-09, 06:08 PM
Sorry for any confusion, but I did give the info needed for the vertical distance I need to fill above the header:

Originally Posted by suobs View Post
The headers need to be at least 2x8 for the span but the vertical distance they need to cover is an odd size, about 7-3/4".
A nominal 2x8 is about 7-1/4" wide and the vertical distance is 7-3/4", so the vertical distance I need to fill is only about 1/2". I probably should have said "triple 2x8" so you would realize I was talking about a laminated header made of 3-2x8s plus two half-inch plywood - the framing is 2x6.

So my question was, does it make sense to fill above a header with 1/2" long cripple studs or shims? Or should I use triple 2x10s for the header instead of triple 2x8s, and rip them to the exact height I need to fill?

I appriciate the TP idea. Are you saying to tie the header to the beam with tie plates and not fill the space between the header and the beam? Except maybe with insulation?

Again, sorry for any confusion, but it has nothing to do with the existing beam, which is solid and was adequately engineered and inspected. I just need to know how to bring the height down from the beam to the height of the garage door frame.