Space under Pre-hung Interior door

Old 04-05-09, 11:27 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Space under Pre-hung Interior door

I am finishing my basement and installing 2 pre-hung doors. The floor will be carpet, how much space should I leave to the concrete so that I have adequate clearance to the door above the carpet once the carpet is installed? The jambs are already 1" longer than the bottom of the door.

Old 04-05-09, 12:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,002 Votes on 911 Posts
Depends on the thickness of the carpet you are getting, whether it will have a pad under it, whether it will be glued down or stretched onto tack strip.

If the carpet is at least 3/4" thick, shim the jambs up off the cement by 1/2".

Old 04-05-09, 01:22 PM
S
We haven't picked carpet yet, I was looking for some guidelines. I have no idea what to expect, nor do I know how it will be fastened. I'm assuming we'll want pad.

I guess what I was looking for is a general guideline. I've read the 1/2" above the carpet, but that doesn't tell me how far above the concrete.

Is 3/4" a typical carpet thickness? If I shim the jambs 1/2", that means the door will be 1 1/2" up leaving 3/4" above the 3/4" carpet. Is that what you were thinking?

If it's too low, I guess I can shave the door, but if it's too high there's nothing I can really do about it.

Old 04-05-09, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Just leave it as is. Trimming the bottom of the door by 1/4-1/2" is no biggie if its needed later. If you can install a door, trimming it shouldn't take more than 15 min or so.

As said, can't even guess w/o knowing the carpet/pad. A berber would be lower, loop pile higher.

Old 04-05-09, 01:36 PM
G
If forced air- need space for return-air. Be safe, GBR

Old 04-05-09, 01:49 PM
J
pre-hung door for your basement

You always want atleast 3/4" to 1" air space between the bottom of your door and whatever flooring you have down. Is your basement dry? If not i would stay away from carpet and go to tile. A de-humidifier wouldnt be a bad idea if your going with carpet, should help keep some of the moisture and musty smell down.

Old 04-05-09, 02:39 PM
S
Thanks all.

Basement is dry. Never had any water issues.

No forced air heat or AC, counting on it beeing naturally cool in the summer and in the winter, well, we'll see. First year we'll use a space heater adn once we get a handle on the heat needs, I'll likely install baseboard heat.

Both doors lead to the unfinished portion of the basement and one is simply for electrical panel access.

Turns out I didn't leave enough height to shim the jamb anyway, so it's going in as is. Hopefully I won't need to shave it.

Thanks all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: