double or triple pane windows?

Old 04-08-09, 01:50 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
double or triple pane windows?

I bought a house that was built in 1972 and I'm pretty sure the windows are the orignals. Single panes, large gaps in the wood frame. I was freezing all winter and I don't want to go through that again. I had a salesman come by and he told me all about the Oxford Window by Winchester Industries, claiming triple pane, low E, Krypton filled, .27 coefficiency rating and vinyl with aluminum support. The whole 9 yards. I've read reviews and sought information from places like home depot and lowes. The majority of them say double pane is the way to go. I don't know what to think anymore. All I know is next winter I don't want to be freezing in my own home again. I also would like to decrease the noise coming from my neighbors. Can anyone give me some professional opinions on which type of window to get, and if you have any real info on the Oxford Window from Winchester Industries that would be great to. Do they really live up to their claims?

Old 04-08-09, 03:03 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi cjfenn, windows are a difficult topic. I'm not familiar with that brand, but few mfg's would go to the effort of building a triple pane that is poor. U=.27 would be an R=3.7 for comparison to your walls and ceiling, so even at this level, they are far from well insulated. However, compared to single pane you will feel the difference. So they are probably good, but how much do they want for them. I'm currently installing u=.3 double pane, argon filled, low e coating, that cost $220 each. If I had to guess, yours are close to $500 plus installation. The salesman was probably driving a really sharp car.

The other part you get is a new installation, which will be much more air tight. Price some Anderson 400, not the 200, for comparison. I'm not fond of them, but they are available everywhere.

AS for keeping warm and cutting fuel costs for next winter, there are a lot of easy fixes that will pay tou back in the first year. Windows will take several years. Let us know if you want to weatherize and we will be glad to help.

Bud

Old 04-08-09, 03:41 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It has been a while since I priced triple pane windows, but the cost difference VS the money saved in utility bills was not worth the extra expense. Even with double pane(lo-e/argon) windows, the savings over your old windows might be 15-25%, so 25% of a $200/mo heating bill is $50/mo. Except you don't really save that much because a lot of the bill is taxes, fees, and hidden costs. 10 windows @ $400 ea, installed, is $4000, and at $30-50/mo in savings, it will take a while to break even. But new windows will definitely improve your comfort level, reduce furniture/carpet fading, and improve the value of the house.

Does any of this make sense??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: