Sliding screen door madness

Old 04-18-09, 11:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sliding screen door madness

For years and years I fought with the cheap one size fits all screen door on our 80x36 glass slider. The thing would not stay in adjustment, the screws would strip out, I had to put one of those metal mesh dog panels on the bottom of the door just to get some sort of torsional rigidity in the frame, the "rollers" such that they did not roll worth a darn etc etc etc. The thing got knock out of the tracks again today and I have had it. I'm tired of patching the thing together.

So what do I do? Go to lowes and buy another one for $50 and another dog guard for $30 but this one said, "heavy duty" on it. I'm sure it would be better built than my old one... wrong, same piece of junk build. One size fits none - 75-81" in height. The screws in the bottom roller panel came pre-stripped out because the holes were drilled too close to the edge of the paper thin aluminum. which meant the door could not be adjusted up enough to come anywhere close to fitting the 80" door frame. I lost it at that point and threw the damn door across the backyard where it will stay until Monday when I return it to get my money back.

Whew, thanks for listening to my rant. Now...

Somebody must manufacture sliding screen doors to fit these standard sized door frames that at least have some robustness to them? Anybody? Seems there would be a non-custom standard model of higher quality than these adjustomatics from the box stores? Do builders really put these pieces of junk in the $400-600K spec houses I see all around our area?

There must be a higher quality alternative without having to go the custom build route??

Thanks
Wayne

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-09, 02:48 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I work for a glass company and we get our kits from CRL and they are alot better than those cheap ones you are talking about. You might be able to go to a glass company and have them order you one but you will have to cut the height (with a chop saw and a carbide blade with a lot of teeth on it) and screen it or if you give them the height they might cut it for you and screen it. You also can get pet screen which is heaveir than regular screen and will NOT rip from pets or humans instead of having the grills.