2x6 framing and prehung

Old 04-24-09, 04:53 AM
2x6 framing and prehung

When buying a prehung exterior entrance door, how does the thickness of the wall factor in? The walls are 2x6 framing - do I need to order something special or plan on adjustments to bring the door jambs to the wall thickness?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-09, 05:06 AM
Group Moderator
If you are ordering the door, you should be able to specify the wall thickness. It is the distance from the outside edge of your sheathing to the inside edge of your wall. Houses with 2x6 construction, 1/2" drywall, 1/2" sheathing would have a wall thickness of 6 9/16". But if foam sheathing was used, it could be more. You can usually check this by popping off a piece of interior trim, then slide a square or ruler along the door jamb until you feel it hit the back of the brickmould.

Old 04-24-09, 05:28 AM
Thanks - let's say I'd rather order off the shelf and avoid the $50 special order charge. According to the guy at Home Depot, it's easy to adjust a door designed for 2x4 so it works in 2x6?

Old 04-24-09, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator
Depends on your location..
Out here, anywhere that sells doors also sells jamb extension kits. Theres a big mix of 2X4 and 2X6 framing. The kits come with sill and jamb extensions.

You can make your own jamb extensions with a table saw, but not too many places stock the sill extension, for a nice finished look.

Old 04-24-09, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
IMO, $50 is a bargain for getting a door with the correct wall thickness. How much will the kit and threshold extension you need cost? And how long will it take you to put it on? And will it look like a "factory finish" once it's done? I prefer having the right sill on the door to begin with, not the extensions you add on later.

Be aware that some doors are not compatible with threshold extensions. Some of the cheaper stock doors don't have the groove in front that accepts them.

Old 04-24-09, 05:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Adding more fuel to the fire.....I wouldn't come to your house to put in jamb extensions for $50, and by the time you buy the grade 1 wood, threshold extension, you would have alot more invested. Then you have the finish as XSleeper mentioned.

Old 04-24-09, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator
Just to be clear...I'd order the door S/O as well. Jeez, don't want anyone thinking I'm cheap...lol.

1/2" or so is a different matter.

Old 04-24-09, 06:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
YOU cheap!? Naaaw! Just economicomical.

Old 04-27-09, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
IMO, $50 is a bargain for getting a door with the correct wall thickness. How much will the kit and threshold extension you need cost? And how long will it take you to put it on? And will it look like a "factory finish" once it's done? I prefer having the right sill on the door to begin with, not the extensions you add on later.

Be aware that some doors are not compatible with threshold extensions. Some of the cheaper stock doors don't have the groove in front that accepts them.

Sleeeper nailed it good Job!!! correct answer here..

Old 04-29-09, 05:38 AM
I should have mentioned it's for a garage. No need for a finished look on the inside - guy at home depot advised me to mount a standard door flush to the outside and do a return with the drywall if someday I do finish the interior. This saves me a good chunk of $$.

Thanks for all your help!