Patio door options?

Old 05-18-09, 04:02 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Patio door options?

Hello all, I am considering replacing/upgrading my patio door. Currently, I have a standard swing-type entry door.

I'd like to get some more light into the kitchen and am considering either a slider or french doors. However, the available opening is only 5' wide.

If I were to use a slider, the actual available opening for ingress/egress would be less than 30", which seems a little tight.

However, if I use french doors, I'm concerned that I wouldn't be able to use screen doors too. (to leave the french doors open during the day for air).

Next, is low-E glass worth it?

Finally, any opinions on Jeld-Wen doors? I'm also considering a local manufactuer, Mercury Excellum, I used them for casement windows in the basement and I was pretty happy. I think they make the Therma-Tru doors. Mercury Excelum

Thanks

Last edited by trackstar; 05-18-09 at 04:24 AM.
Old 05-18-09, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Yes, LoE is worth it.

Quality French doors that open in would still be able to have swinging screens on the outside. Good brands like Andersen make their own excellent quality screens. Some cheaper French doors use flimsy sliding screens, that are nothing but trouble.

If you wanted outswing doors some brands offer retractable screens, but they aren't cheap.

The good thing about French vs slider is you can open both doors for wide access.

Quality French doors will probably run at least $1600 or more depending on options you choose. Look for high quality adjustable hinges, multipoint locking hardware, quality weatherstripping system, good warranty.

And I hope you've planned for the construction costs as well, the header will probably have to be extended, sheetrock removed and repaired, exterior removal and repair.
Could get very expensive very fast.

Old 05-18-09, 08:41 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The sheetrock and header I'm not worried about, I'm not thrilled about dealing with the exterior vinyl siding and trim.

Looks like the Therma-Tru inswing with low-E and screens will run about $1500. Just the doors, without Low-E, are $880.

Old 05-18-09, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Wow...I just did a basic Smooth Star door with some of the things I mentioned and it came out to $2600 list price. They want almost $600 just for the multipoint lock and it looks like you still have top and bottom throwbolts on the passive door.

I can't tell exactly, but it looks like they use standard weatherstripping like most entry doors.

Personally, if that pricing is accurate, I'd look at Andersen instead.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: