34 inch entry door

Old 07-10-09, 02:43 PM
34 inch entry door

I just purchased an older home and I would like to put in a new entry door but the opening only measures 34 inches. I was hoping to get fiberglass for energy saving reasons - does anyone have any cost effective suggestions for replacing my irregular sized door?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-09, 03:08 PM
Group Moderator
If it is not a brick house widen the opening to 36". It may require a bit of Sheetrock repair because you will need to replace the header but you won't have the cost of a custom door or settle for what you can find that fits. . Also it will make moving large items into your house easier.

Old 07-10-09, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
Wondering where you measured? If its the house framing, it may be a standard 32" door. Check the height, that can be more of an issue, pretty common to see 78" doors in old houses.

You maybe able to find a 34" door in steel, but I don't think I've seen one in FG. It would be special order in steel, but not custom. More expensive than stock, but not outrageous. The 78" on the other hand...that will probably be custom cut. They used to stock some basic doors in 78", but since the mergers, I don't think so anymore.