Pocket Window Replacement Questions

Old 07-10-09, 08:33 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pocket Window Replacement Questions

Hi,
Wife and I just got married and I sold my house, moved into her 26 year old Cape Cod. Nice home but has 26 year old Andersen Double Hung, double pane glass, windows that leak like a sieve.
We're trying to replace the windows with architecturally comparable windows and have settled, we think, on Pella Architect Series (850 series at Lowes) pocket replacement windows.
Unfortunately, all the windows are odd sizes and require custom windows. We're getting the argon filled w/ the proper reflective coating to ensure we get our $1500 tax credit.
I'm a little concerned with the cost. Lowe's has a $99/window install special and the installer who came over and measured is well respected in our community. I get a 10% military discount with Lowes but we're still looking at $8000 installed for 13 windows, four of which are 39in x 65 inches and one of which is a 4 feet x 6 feet fixed glass picture window between two double hungs.
Any suggestions/alternatives/comments on the pocket replacement pellas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 07-11-09, 05:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Based on your estimate, you are investing over $600 per window average, installed. For a standard 39 x 65 that's a lot. And that's after your discount. I am assuming "pocket" indicates "double hung".

Old 07-11-09, 06:53 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pocket window replacement

Thanks for the welcome,
Well, the big ones are $633/each, after discount, the picture window is more than $500 and the rather large double hungs upstairs are all around 3 x 3. Yes, double hung w/ argon and solar reflective coating for the energy rebate. $99 install each.
So yes, over $600 each average after install.
The pockets are double hung with standard hardware. White inside w/ aluminum cladding outside.

Thanks for your input.

Old 07-11-09, 08:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The only other advice I can offer is to check with other window people. I use Jeld Wen quite a bit, and other manufacturers can offer comparable windows, I am sure. That way you can be sure the pricing is accurate and you will get the best deal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: