Window shopping

Old 08-08-09, 11:37 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window shopping

I'm looking to replace the windows in my 1961 Minnesota rambler. I'm pretty handy and have done many home improvement projects myself, but am currently going to school and working full-time, so I will not be doing this project myself.
My question is: How do you pick a window company? There are so many out there and the prices really vary!
I'm looking at Revere Sovereign Vinyl replacement windows, Minnesota Rusco, and Allside so far.
Does anyone have recommendations or suggestions?

Old 08-18-09, 07:54 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 181 Votes on 162 Posts
My personal opinion would be to find a good carpenter in your area (preferably based on friend's references) and have him or her install the windows. I'm always uncomfortable with buying windows and installation from the same company - you don't get any recommendations from them; obviously their windows are the best. If you look online, you'll find countless people ranting about all the window manufacturers... usually due to installation/customer service problems.

Unfortunately, I don't have experience with many manufacturers... I've installed new Anderson windows and find them well built. I've also installed el-cheapo home depot vinyl replacement windows (I forget the manufacturer), which worked out fine.

Good luck! (I hope others will post their good/bad experiences with specific manufacturers)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: