Help finishing door frame

Old 08-08-09, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help finishing door frame

Hello,
I purchased 2 wood grain fiberglass entry doors from menards and the gel stain to finish them. I took the doors off the frames and finished them with the stain and they look great. I tried to use the same stain on the door frame which is wood following the instructions and when you wipe it off essentially it all comes off, none was absorbed by the wood. I tried to stain the frame with regular wood stain off a similiar color and it did the same thing. what am I doing wrong? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-09, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Is the frame painted with primer or is it raw wood? If primer..the stain won't work. If raw wood..did you sand first? The mill finish on frames like that doesn't really have any open pores. The milling process kind of causes them to glaze over and not stain well.

Old 08-08-09, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
it is wood colored not white so I don't think it has been primed. I did not sand though so that may well be the problem.

Old 08-08-09, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
Can you see the grain of the wood? Many times these are primed with a light beige that some people assume to be stainable..but its not.

Old 08-08-09, 05:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 158 Votes on 140 Posts
I don't know if I've ever seen a fiberglass or metal door frame/casing that wasn't factory primed. The primer is often a light grey although I have seen them with a pale beige. Because of this the exterior casing and door stop are almost always painted. You could do a faux grain on it with paint - it will look like stained wood when finished but IMO it isn't worth the extra work.

If you must stain what you have, sand the primer off of the door stop and replace the brick mould with stain grade brick mould - it will be raw wood and no finger joints.

On the interior side, the casing should be stain grade [if not painting] and I'll usually take some paint that is close to the stain color and apply a streaky coat on the inside part of the jamb - it doesn't have to be perfect since it can only be seen while the door is open and even then what shows is only a little over an inch wide.

Old 08-08-09, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator
As mark said "Tru Dat!". If it was off the shelf, almost 99.9% chance its primed. Special order stain grade is available from some manufacturers..but that normally adds about $300 or so, and adds a lot of time to the order.

Gonna be pretty tough to get all the paint off...I'd be looking at a nice complimentary color of paint for the frame and trim.