Picture window....what are my options?

Old 08-21-09, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Picture window....what are my options?

All the other windows have been replaced except this one (and the two smaller windows flanking it) and the bathroom window (which is in great shape). The interior wood is all black, the wood coating (varnish? shellac?) is peeling up (or gone), and someone put some silicone in there.

Blackened bottom section

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_dKVtCvMtL2E/So...0/IMG_0692.JPG

Lower left corner

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_dKVtCvMtL2E/So...0/IMG_0691.JPG

Lower right corner

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_dKVtCvMtL2E/So...0/IMG_0693.JPG

It appears to be two panes of glass, and we think it must sweat a lot (though we've never seen it sweating ) and that is what made the wood all black and nasty. I'm replacing the caulking on the exterior as we paint the exterior trim, so wondered if now was prime time to try to fix this. How big of a job is this? Are there better options? Tips? Suggestions?

Potentially helpful stats:
51.25" Wide from frame edge to frame edge (excluding flanking windows)
52.75" Tall from frame edge to frame edge
Solid wood (Oak? Maple?)
Aluminum "track" between panes??
Doesn't appear to be sealed enough to have gas between the panes, and no indication of a "gas leak".

Full-fledged replacement isn't an option right now, but relatively inexpensive fixes are definitely something we can manage. Or we could just clean it up and refinish it, if that's a realistic option.

Old 08-21-09, 03:15 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
The condition is due to what you describe, excess moisture on the inside. This can be caused by too high humidity level in the house, very cold temps outside, poor insulation value of glass, all of the above. A new window with Lo-E/argon glass will reduce or cure the problem. If you want a wood interior and a custom size, Marvin and Weathershield are your choices. If the frame is OK, consider replacement units rather than complete new windows. Considerably less expensive in labor costs, somewhat from materials..

Old 08-23-09, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the idea, called about the replacement units, and it looks like it might be doable (we'll install them ourselves, so be prepared for questions! ) so we're seeing about getting it (and possibly the flanking windows, depending on the cost) ordered tomorrow.

Old 08-23-09, 03:43 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Check the openings for square, if OK, give them the "opeing size" for the windows. They will make them about 1/4-1/2" smaller than the opening. For opening size, check in 3 places each way, top/side/bottom-right/middle/left, use the smallest dimentsion.

Old 08-23-09, 05:53 PM
We had the guy who is ordering the window for us come out and do the measuring. He's a former installer, so I'm sure that he did that. (I wasn't actually home when he measured--hubby was.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: