Jamb Extension strikeplate

Old 09-07-09, 01:53 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Jamb Extension strikeplate

I have an Andersen Patio Door with a 3-point lock, so it has a special strikeplate made by Andersen in a nice brushed nickel finish. The problem I have is because the door was installed with a jamb extension, the latch hits the jamb extension before it hits the strikeplate... Home Depot said that Andersen doesn't make a 3/8" longer strikeplate, which is what I need to cover the jamb extension and prevent it from getting marked up.

I've looked for a small piece of metal to attach to the jamb extension behind the Andersen strikeplate, but I'm having trouble finding anything to match the strikeplate's finish. Any ideas?

Old 09-07-09, 03:43 PM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
You might find something here that you can adapt.
Satin nickel strike plates - Shop sales, stores & prices at TheFind.com

Old 09-07-09, 03:55 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Not a door expert here, but wouldn't your extensions go on the other side, leaving the strike plate on the inside and flush with the inside wall so it doesn't limit the swing. OR am I lost.

Bud

Old 09-08-09, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
@Bud that is the preferred way. Andersen makes exterior jamb extensions for just that. They also make interior extensions..but those are normally for outswing doors.

I helped a woman order over $25,000 in Andersen doors and windows and her "contractor" (cough cough) didn't have enough sense to put the doors flush to the interior wall..and he didn't know how to put the extensions on the outside. 2 X 6 walls..so she had $8000 worth of 8' doors that would only open to 90 degrees.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: