Aluminum clad ontop of wooden window frames

Old 09-08-09, 10:04 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Aluminum clad ontop of wooden window frames

Hello everyone i have a question concerning covering wood windows. We have a 20 year old house with wood window frames. The frames are in descent shape but are in need of painting and re chalking. We have had a quote from a company that installs aluminum over top of the existing window frames and re chalks the window as well. Does anyone know of this practice? it sounds maintenance free but i am just worried about the wood keeping moisture under the aluminum covering and eventually rotting .Any info advise would be most appreciated thanks.

Old 09-08-09, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
If is done correctly with heavier gauge aluminum coil stock, it will be much lower maintenance..but not "free". The aluminum only covers the exterior frame and trim...not the sashes or jamb. It will still need to be inspected regularly and re-caulked as required.

Now, if done incorrectly, not maintained, or not properly overlapped and sealed..yes it can retain the moisture and rot the underlying wood in short order. Also, the light gauge material is more subject to denting and creasing.

Are you having replacement insert windows installed as well?

Old 09-08-09, 12:23 PM
D
Thanks for the info and no we are not planing on having new insert window , just using the existing window and having them covered.

Old 09-08-09, 01:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 740 Upvotes on 646 Posts
I've painted several houses where they wrapped the window frame with aluminum, I painted the sash and then storm windows were installed. If proper prep is done and quality coatings used - the paint job on the sash will last a long time, maybe 10yrs.

As always, it's best to ask for and check references before hiring any contractor.

Old 09-08-09, 03:11 PM
H
I have replaced wood windows wrapped in aluminum from window manufactures and it wasn't pretty. The bottom part of the sashes were falling off by themselfs. They were all rotted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: