Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

1985 CA Home; Need to change the direction of Entrance Door

Old 09-20-09, 11:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm planning to buy a home which has the "main entrance Door" facing SouthWest;

My wife is bit superstitious and wants to change the direction of the Entrance Door to an adjacent wall facing Northwest or even Southeast. Before I approach the HOA just wanted to know the approximate costs of such a project.

Option1: keep the existing entrance; add 1 more
Option 2: Close the current entrance; add another one

Door is nothing fancy just a normal wooden frame.
~R

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-09, 10:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I'll get in trouble, but what is superstitious about a door facing Southwest? I've run across a lot of reasons, but this is right up on top. First, changing the entrance door will necessitate a new porch (if you have one), a new pad if necessary, a new header over the proposed door site. How many stories are we talking over where the door will be going? Not doing away with the existing door still leaves the supersitition thingy. What is the house sided with? Will you be able to match the siding once you remove the door? And that includes overlapping joints, not just filling in a hole.
Cost? That is too variable by location. Maybe Lefty will chime in here, since he is out on the left coast.

Old 09-21-09, 10:39 AM
Thanks Chandler,

Well my wife, her mom & grandmom (basically the entire family on her side and not to mention some folks in my side too) all believe in an ancient Indian Architectural Science called Vaastu (almost similar to Feng Shui).

According to it the main entrance door shouldn't face southwest and 2 other directions. More info here:
Vaastu
Explaining all this to HOA should be real fun.

I guess it's 1 storey
House is sided by unbuilt lot on one side but a neighbor's property on the other (I don't they'll be thrilled with this idea either)

I just need some guess estimation to convince my wife to seek alternatives for not changing the door (i.e. Not buying the house)

Old 09-21-09, 04:31 PM
OK Larry, you're probably still all right as far as dealing with raviies, but your comments have just alienated you from the REST of the family!! (LOL!!)

raviies, can you post a picture or two. What's inside and what's outside? Is there a different wall that could be used to install the door in so that it faces some other direction?

I'm thinking that this door is probably in the center wall of an alcove, and that wall just happens to face southwest. Moving it to one of the side walls of that alcove is probably doable, but raviies, for the expense of doing that, your wife and the rest of the family had BETTER BE absolutely in love with the rest of the house!! (i.e. -- the rest of the house is "absolutely love it and gotta have it", and the $2K to move the door is not much more than a minor inconvenience.) Otherwise, the real estate market in the "Golden State" is such that you just might want to keep looking!! Lord knows there are more homes available than there are buyers for those homes!!

Old 09-22-09, 06:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
My wife went with a checklist when she was looking for our present house. It had to face south. It had to have at least a rain creek. It had to have a dog door (go figure). On and on. If the agents showed her houses that didn't meet one criterion....outta here!
I agree with Mike, keep looking. I think your HOA meeting won't go too well. "You're gonna what??!!"