Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Can you rescreen a retractable screen for a sliding glass door?

Old 09-25-09, 09:19 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

During a rainstorm, one of our dogs got spooked and came straight through our screen door. Needless to say, she's fairly big, so it really ripped it from the side. My husband took it to a couple home centers/window stores and they told him he'd probably have to just replace the whole mechanism. Another place said they could figure it out, but it's cost about $60/hr while they did it.

There has to be a way to rescreen it, or at least replace it economically. It is a beautiful door (by pella) and I don't want to cover up the glass with screen, so I'd like to have a retractable one.

Anyway, if anyone has experienced this or knows how to fix it, I would appreciate it! Thank you!

Old 09-25-09, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Every type of those screens that I've seen..you need to buy a cartridge from the manufacturer. The only one I've seen out of the cartridge had a plastic "retainer" that was fused/glued to the screen somehow.

Old 09-25-09, 04:35 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
daytondunns,

Welcome to the forums.

All of them that I've seen are a factory built unit. Rescreening them ins't an option.

Old 09-25-09, 06:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
All you have to do is contact Pella and order a new self-storing "Rolscreen". Unfortunately their warranty doesn't cover damage by large scared dogs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: